The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this spot at the corner of my does mouth. I had just read about sore mouth on here the other day so that’s what I’m thinking it is… if I could get some opinions to make sure tho, that would be great!
I have not noticed it on any other goats at all.
from what I read earlier, it just runs its course and isn’t a huge concern? It’s better for it to run thru The herd now while it’s warm and dry and the babies aren’t little so they can get some immunity, correct? Then if they happen to get it again next year, it would be a mild case of they’ve had it before?
Working animal Natural material Horn Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope
Eye Goat Working animal Mammal Sheep

Head Working animal Iris Terrestrial animal Plant

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have a picture of what sore mouth virus would look like if it shows up on an udder?
I want to watch for that.
I wonder how the heck it showed up out here!
It is a pox virus… I wonder if it’s under the same umbrella as the monkey pox, cowpox, raccoon pox… and now goat pox? 😅

·
Super Moderator
16,229 Posts
If that’s sore mouth that sure is a mild case. Can you get gloves on and get a closer picture of it? To me it almost looks like maybe she has a thorn in there and has made a little abscess.
Sore mouth is like a crusty scabby sore. That’s the only way I can explain it. I’ve never had it in just one small spot like that before. I have also never had it on the udder but it would look about the same as on the mouth.
IMO and my experience if it is sore mouth then you can attempt to isolate it, but it’s probably a lot of work for nothing. It is so very contagious. One small scab stuck on their coat and it’s transferred to the rest. So yes in a way it’s just easier to let it spread and get it over and done with OR use the vaccine. Force them to have their small out break on their arm pit and they have it and over and done with. I really swear by the vaccine BUT (that is in huge big bold letters) you do NOT want to do the vaccine unless you are 100% sure you have sore mouth out there. If you don’t then you will be introducing it into your herd.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jessica84 thank you for responding. I’ll try and get ahold of her tonight to get a closer picture and also check if I can find a thorn or sticker of some sort.
I’m hoping it’s not- maybe because I’d just read someone’s post about sore mouth prior to seeing this spot by her mouth got me thinking down that track. Lol

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys were correct, she had a sticker stuck in her mouth. I was able to get it out so hopefully things heal up now… her poor mouth is worse than I thought and I feel bad for not noticing before. But she doesn’t usually open her mouth and lips like that either.
You can see the very end of the sticker poking out. I’m rather surprised I was able to get it without tweezers!
Gesture Finger Thumb Tints and shades Fish

Hand Insect Arthropod Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might try and get a halter on her tonight so I can lead her into a stall and then rinse with warm salt water and maybe a little hydrogen peroxide to help clean out and heal. Also feel around a little more in case there was more than one sticker in there. I only saw the one and got it out so figured she was good… but my dad thought I should have felt for more.
sometimes I don’t think logically about things. Our brains are wired differently… I’ll explain a problem I’m trying to figure out to him and he’ll say something that seems so reasonable and logical but for some reason I couldn’t come up with it on my own. 😅

I’ll have to give her some extra orange peels to get her to forgive me and not hold a grudge against me!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts