The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this spot at the corner of my does mouth. I had just read about sore mouth on here the other day so that’s what I’m thinking it is… if I could get some opinions to make sure tho, that would be great!
I have not noticed it on any other goats at all.
from what I read earlier, it just runs its course and isn’t a huge concern? It’s better for it to run thru The herd now while it’s warm and dry and the babies aren’t little so they can get some immunity, correct? Then if they happen to get it again next year, it would be a mild case of they’ve had it before?
Working animal Natural material Horn Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope
Eye Goat Working animal Mammal Sheep

Head Working animal Iris Terrestrial animal Plant

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have a picture of what sore mouth virus would look like if it shows up on an udder?
I want to watch for that.
I wonder how the heck it showed up out here!
It is a pox virus… I wonder if it’s under the same umbrella as the monkey pox, cowpox, raccoon pox… and now goat pox? 😅

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jessica84 thank you for responding. I’ll try and get ahold of her tonight to get a closer picture and also check if I can find a thorn or sticker of some sort.
I’m hoping it’s not- maybe because I’d just read someone’s post about sore mouth prior to seeing this spot by her mouth got me thinking down that track. Lol

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys were correct, she had a sticker stuck in her mouth. I was able to get it out so hopefully things heal up now… her poor mouth is worse than I thought and I feel bad for not noticing before. But she doesn’t usually open her mouth and lips like that either.
You can see the very end of the sticker poking out. I’m rather surprised I was able to get it without tweezers!
Gesture Finger Thumb Tints and shades Fish

Hand Insect Arthropod Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might try and get a halter on her tonight so I can lead her into a stall and then rinse with warm salt water and maybe a little hydrogen peroxide to help clean out and heal. Also feel around a little more in case there was more than one sticker in there. I only saw the one and got it out so figured she was good… but my dad thought I should have felt for more.
sometimes I don’t think logically about things. Our brains are wired differently… I’ll explain a problem I’m trying to figure out to him and he’ll say something that seems so reasonable and logical but for some reason I couldn’t come up with it on my own. 😅

I’ll have to give her some extra orange peels to get her to forgive me and not hold a grudge against me!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, I got the halter on and got her inside a stall. Note to self- use weigh tape before bolusing this fall. I swear she gained a ton of weight this year- felt like she’s at least 300# with her front brakes locked up 😅
But I’m glad I did take another look. I flushed her with 30ml warm salt water (she thought it was way too salty) and then started feeling a bit. The ‘ball’ squished with pressure, no pus at all, but it seemed more like it was scabby around more pokey material. I went ahead and removed the whole thing in hopes her mouth can heal better with out the dead? Skin there…
Then I rinsed with some more salt water followed with a 3ml syringe of hydrogen peroxide.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Collar

Hand Finger Nail Thumb Wrist

once I had her in the stall she wasn’t too bad. The other goats had left the pen outside after they got done eating and her kids were calling for her (they needed a drink to wash down their feed) so she started to get a little worried about them, but still ate some orange peels before I let her go out to find her poor little babies 😂
Ecoregion Vertebrate Dog Working animal Mammal

theyre so big already! And she’s such a good FF mama ❤
after a quick drink it was play time 😊
Ecoregion Vertebrate Fence Working animal Sky

Sky Cloud Working animal Freezing Plain

Then just because I already had my phone out I took a pic of the sunset over the sage brush. It was kind of cool shining against the clouds.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Afterglow

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thats Awesome. Glad you worked her mouth over. I know it was uncomfortable, but sooo much easier without fighting infection too! Good Job!🥰
Thank you! I’m glad she didn’t act like it hurt her at all. That would have been harder…
Just having to drag her into the barn when it’s 98° outside got me into a good sweat 🤣

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Your goats are stunning 😍. Glad to hear she is doing better!
Thank you! Fancy’s a yearling and has moved up the ranks to one of my favorites. And her doelings too… one of them was very weak, born with selenium deficiency so she needed some extra help and attention and that solidified her spot as a keeper 😂❤🍀

1 - 14 of 14 Posts