The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,175 Posts
If that’s sore mouth that sure is a mild case. Can you get gloves on and get a closer picture of it? To me it almost looks like maybe she has a thorn in there and has made a little abscess.
Sore mouth is like a crusty scabby sore. That’s the only way I can explain it. I’ve never had it in just one small spot like that before. I have also never had it on the udder but it would look about the same as on the mouth.
IMO and my experience if it is sore mouth then you can attempt to isolate it, but it’s probably a lot of work for nothing. It is so very contagious. One small scab stuck on their coat and it’s transferred to the rest. So yes in a way it’s just easier to let it spread and get it over and done with OR use the vaccine. Force them to have their small out break on their arm pit and they have it and over and done with. I really swear by the vaccine BUT (that is in huge big bold letters) you do NOT want to do the vaccine unless you are 100% sure you have sore mouth out there. If you don’t then you will be introducing it into your herd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts