The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some hoof trimming about a week ago on two of my does that have terrible hooves and have since I got them. They are overall unthrifty and will be moving along to their new homes soon. This girl kicked and I clipped her too short. I got the bleeding to stop and I had put some LA200 on her for a few days for some hoof rot and all was well. I went to check her again to go back at her hooves and noticed she was limping which she hadn’t been. What is this sore and how do I treat? She does not have a fever.

Attachments

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
You already gave LA200, was it topical or injected?

The sore almost looks like an abscess, like it needs to pop... worried the bleeding wound got some of the rot into it and is now infected....

I would probably put some kopertox on it or use a zinc sulfate foot bath to ensure infection dissipates. I don’t know if you use any natural methods but application of OnGuard essential oil in a foot wash or in a bit of dilution with a carrier oil may also help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no injection antibiotics. Wouldn’t ever give them unless I knew they were necessary and would have given a full course if I had. I did topically. I have already done Kopertox as well for several days. Happy to continue. I spoke with both of my vets and they both said that it’s just proudflesh growing over where I had cut too short? Her temp is fine and she is eating fine as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you have already done all the recommended treatments for it I would just wait and see! Maybe apply some hoof n heal for a few days.
I had been treating it immediately after I cut it too short and knowing she had some rot I was treating anyways. I can start back up again. I just stopped a day or two ago but she just started limping and it just showed up. Hoof and heal isn't a bad idea. I'll grab some today. Thanks so much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts