The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,524 Posts
Its caused by the kids teeth while nursing. Some does get them, some dont. One of the does I sold the other day gets them each time she kids and its always the buckling that does it to her.

I use a triple antibiotic salve on the spot twice a day. I also dip it in a comfrey and water mix. You can keep limit the kids from contact with her until its healed. I took them away at night. I also milked her out twice a day. When I did I put an oily salve or balm on her teats to make the milking easier on her. By keeping the pressure off the sore, it healed faster.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I had one that had something like that but she wasn't nursing her kids. What else could cause it?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I had one that had something like that but she wasn't nursing her kids. What else could cause it?
Did it suddenly appear after you had been milking her for a while? Or did you notice a day or two after you pulled the kids?

It could also have been an injury from catching it on something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! I kinda wondered if it was kids because of where it's located- they are 7 weeks now and it's been there about a week- they nurse pretty aggressively too- it popped up when I started separating to milk so they were doing frantic udder bashing nursing when I returned her.

·
2,203 Posts
Happens more often than we like, especially with first timers. Can be caused by kids, our hands, washing, being exposed to elements, a cut, etc.

Bag balm and keep moist and soft.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Did it suddenly appear after you had been milking her for a while? Or did you notice a day or two after you pulled the kids?

It could also have been an injury from catching it on something.
It was after I had been milking for a little bit. She won't take care of kids. :(

·
2,203 Posts
Here's a pic of Begonia:

She actually had two sores after she kidded in. One on her bag from the elements, one on her tit from milking.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts