The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 yr old doe that has no udder ( never has kidded) that has swollen teat that is driving her crazy. Can this be mastitis?

·
Super Moderator
58,217 Posts
I would get hold of her and take a good look at it. Try milking it. Make sure there are no bites or outward physical problems.

It is certainly possible that it could be mastitis but she also could have injured it.

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
yes..get a good look for bites..abrasions...sores...does it feel swollen squishy or swollen hard..any heat in it?

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes..get a good look for bites..abrasions...sores...does it feel swollen squishy or swollen hard..any heat in it?
Manny is a big wimpy baby. The teat itself was fine but the udder half is about the size of a golf ball swollen and a bit warm. No milk or discharge. Just a bit dirty but I cleaned her up. I can't find a bite but it sure looks like something happened. I'm keeping an eye on her just in case.

·
Registered
29,963 Posts
could be an injury as Karen said, Watch it to se if it changes in a day or so..reg. aspirin if she is uncomforatable..

could be dry mastisis : Albadry Plus - Teat infusion medication containing procaine penicillin and novobiocin sodium for treating mastitis in non-lactating goats. Also used to dry up lactating goats.Penicillin-based mastitis treatments are more successful than using non-penicillin-based mastitis medications. Also can be applied topically to staph infections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts