Sore teat on doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by liz, May 27, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Binky still will let Bonnie nurse her thru the day, at night I tape her teats, 3 days ago as I was milking her she started to get jumpy...not normal for her, and when I stopped to settle her down I noticed a blood smear in my palm. Her teat on the backside...exactly where those 10 week old teeth of Bonnies would be has cut her mom's teat and abraded it to the point that I am so afraid of hurting Bink when I milk. I wash her udder before and after milking and have used bag balm on her as well....I don't want to use something that may contaminate the milk or hurt the kid.....which after today, Bonnie won't be with her so that is solved. What can I do to speed the healing?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have fight bac teat spray? If not then I just use iodine. Make sure you keep it really clean since teat injuries can lead to mastitis. But she should be fine, teat injuries heal fast. :hug:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We had a doe a few years ago where one of her kids bit her and scraped the whole back of her teat with his teeth(she actually hid from her kids so they wouldn't bother her) What we did was milked her like we normally would and when we were done with milking we'd put peroxide on it then calendula/hypericum salve and it healed up fine. You should be able to get that at a health food store. Caledula helps to heal and hypericum is for tissue repair.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you both!

Ya know what? She hasn't even looked for Bonnie or even cried....and she's been gone since 11am!

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    lol If our does have really bothersome kids when we take them away they don't even seem to notice, its more of a relief than a worry to them :lol: