Sore teats!!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Duchesse, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    I've been milking Bonnie to provide milk for her kid because she wasn't interested in nursing. Now she has a sore spot on one of her teats and becomes agitated when I try to milk that side. Any suggestions??

I'm gonna be more gentle since this is the first time I've ever milked anything. Also every morning I cut up garlic for my goats could that be causing some irritation?

When I breast fed my son if my nipples became sore I put some milk on them. Maybe I should try that.
    :upset:

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Are you using a lubricant when you milk? Bag balm, udder cream.. just anything to help “pave” the way? And with a goat you squeeze the teat do not pull like with a cow.

MadHouse likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe test for mastitis.

Does she have any sores there?

How does her milk look?

Is her udder hot or reddened, feel hard anywhere?

4. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    :wow: You live and learn. What is bag balm, can I get udder cream from TSC. Is there a substitute? I've been doing some pulling that sure didn't help. :oops2: Please (pray) for me.

5. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    She has a red spot it looks more like irritation. The milk looks fine and the udder feels fine no redness or hardness. I'll keep monitoring her. I need the milk for Winky and I don't want Bonnie to get engorged.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm, I wonder if she has a spider or other bug bite there. They can be painful.

Sfgwife likes this.
  7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Yes you can get bag balm and udder cream from tsc. It only takes a small amount so do not just slather it on there. ;) So since you are new to milking... do you wash the udder and teats, apply a lube before milking, clean udder and teats after and then apply the lube after? Some people use fight bac for the end step. Washing things could be your own mix or baby wipes. I think i have seen teat wipes but those could get expensive i think.

The lube helps to keep friction at a minimun. Kids give it in their saliva and our hands do not have that to offer. Does can also get chaffed.

Like toth said look for sores and irritations to the teats as well.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  8. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    I'm going to send hubby for some lubricant.

I'm afraid to milk her now because of that red sore spot. Will she become engorged if I leave that one alone for a day or two? Should I just do one teat and let that other one heal? Should I let her get a break off of milking completely for a day or two?

9. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I have one doe who had awful sore teats, I started rubbing in coconut oil before I milked, after 3 days all better. She loved it and really relaxed as I was working in the coconut oil.

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    No, do not stop milking, just put the bag balm on, after you wash and dry the teats. Baby wet wipes work well. Get the non perfume, non additive ones, Huggies and Walmart sell plain wet wipes in the baby aisle.
    Gently squeeze the teats, much like forcing frosting out of a bag to put on cookies! Thumb and index finger, then add middle finger and the other two if teat is long enough. Never pull or stretch.
    At first it's awkward, but soon you'll be a pro.

Always make sure your hands are washed and clean before milking. Bacteria can get inside the teat orifice from dirty hands.

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Like loving life said coconut oil os fine too! I always forget about that and olive oil being ok. :) i make my own stuffs for it. And keep milking her. It will heal. Just make sure to put a dab of stuff on the sore spots when you are done.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Remember when milking, your hand on the teat is stationary. It doesn’t move up or down. Think of it like filling a latex glove with milk. Trap the milk by pinching off the top between thumb and forefinger, with the teat fitting into the web of your thumb/palm. Then close your other fingers one by one, middle, ring, pinky. Release to let more milk into the teat.

I never put anything on the udder or teat until I’m done milking. Doing so just raises the risk of getting bacteria into the orifice and causing mastitis.

Wipe the teats, milk, fightbac or iodine teat dip to close the orifice, then udder butter or bag balm.

If you want her to stay in milk, keep milking. You can’t take a day or three off or she will be engorged and her milk production will drop.

13. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    That's exactly what has happened!:oops2: The milk dried up. God knows I was tired of milking twice a day and feeding every four to five hours. The milk was meager. The most I ever got one time was 7 ounces. Bonnie is not a milk goat. She's a pygmy/myotonic cross. Her teats were not very big but for Winky I tried. I'm feeding whole milk every five to six hours now. Winky's appetite is good. she's gaining weight and trying to jump out of the Pack and Play.:nod:

How long before I can put her back with Bonnie, her mom?:shrug:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If she is dried up, they can be put back together.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    :update: I'm feeding Winky whole cow milk every 4-5 hours around the clock. During the day she's outside with her mom Bonnie. She sips water from the bucket and tries to eat some hay. She happy and growing. All is well.
    My groomer suggested the enriched goat formula like Manna Pro. What do you think? Winky is 4 weeks old. Should I leave well enough alone?:shrug:

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If it is working, leave it alone. Why mess with success? You could maybe increase the intake a little and start spreading your bottles a few more hours apart some. At least so you can get a solid night sleep.
    Good job!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    I thought so.:clever:

toth boer goats likes this.