Soremouth I think? - pics added

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Polarhug, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Soremouth I think?

2 of my 5-week old kids have small scabs around their lips, and their mama has the same on her udder plus some cracking. After researching pics I think its Soremouth. Fun Fun. From the sounds of it, it will probably work though my herd and affect the other 4. It's too late to separate at this point.

So I've just been applying Corona udder ointment on the mom to help keep it supple. Bless her heart she is still letting them nurse a bit even though I know it hurts her... Hopefully it will clear up in a few weeks from what I've read?

So since these are my first goats on my property, they are a closed herd and I haven't brought any new goats in since my buck 8 months ago... how did they get it?

And any tips to help it clear up faster?

2. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Re: Soremouth I think?

Someone told me once about using athlete's foot creme, and that *supposedly* worked for them...I dunno, though. Sounds weird to me.

Mostly, what I'm here to say is WEAR GLOVES. The sore mouth virus can give YOU really painful lesions, if it gets into a little cut or scrape or something like that.

Good luck with it...and be careful!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Soak in Epsom salts I hear. I do believe the idea is to dry out the sores so they fall off - but be careful as stated it can transfer to you so do wear gloves as suggested

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

I just realized you said these were your first goats on the property, and that they'd been there 8mos in a closed herd...that's odd.

Not that it makes the situation any worse, of course, but...like, yeah...how DID they get it??!?

Been to any shows? Fairs? Other folks' goat farms? Any other goat people been to your place recently? Petting zoos? Anything like that??

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yup if you have been to any other goat farms or goats or any other animals were ever on your property before you got the goats it can be spread from the ground. The bacteria lives in the ground after the sores drop off

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

We haven't been in contact with any other goats at all. That's what is weird. We haven't been to any fairs or any functions with any goats there where we could pick it up. Our goats haven't left our property. I have no way to transport them. I don't even know anyone in my village with goats... (Pop. 700) the only other person I know in Alaska is Katrina and she is 200 miles away. We're talking rural here lol.

Our land has never had goats on it in the 11 years we've owned it. I had 1 horse that passed away a year ago that had been here for 10 years.

I'm going to try to get pics tonight and see what you all think.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

hmm. a mystery!

soremoth will heal on it own, but you can hold a warm cloth (disposable) with epsom salts to dry it out... i forget what my friend did when her goat got it.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

that's a good article. i also remember something about genetian violet being able to help soremouth heal faster

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

wouldnt surprise me - gentian violet is the active ingredient in Blu Kote and I use that for infection and to dry the area out that is sore etc

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

when I had it go through my herd they usually had the sores for 1 - 2 weeks. didnt really bother them or put them off their food or anything

I contracted it ... EXTREMELY painful. Certainly put me off my food for a couple weeks. Apparently goats and sheep are tougher than me.

12. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Pics working now I think... whew I didn't break it with my goatpox lips

Attached Files:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm the first two doent even look like they have anything -- that last picture shows some bumps but I am no sore mouth expert so I cant say if it is or isnt

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its something all right.. icant say 100% its soremouth.. but it sure looks it

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    that last one looks like a soremouth ... not a particularly bad one though so I wouldnt worry too much :) I cant see on the others

16. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    2 don't have it very bad, looks like small warts on nose & lips. Hope it doesn't last long