The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the soremouth has made its way to almost everyone now. Most have just a few sores on their lips. One is lucky enough to have just a couple sores on the top of her nose. The worst case is in one of my Nubian's eyes. She looks just plain awful. The sores are on the outside and inside parts of both top and bottom lids. I've been spraying her eye with my Vetericyn eye spray, but I'm wondering if you all would be dropping antibiotics in there - even though this is a virus we're dealing with. I purchased oxytetracycline last time I was out - I think that's the right one?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ouch!!!! The oxytetracycline is injection form like la200 right not the powder???? If so I see nothing wrong with putting some in her eye. Neos**** would work too and might coat it better. I don't know if tomorrow can go in the eye.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I wouldnt put Tomorrow or Today IN the eye, but on the sores...Neospordin is fine IN the eye ;)

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Hmmm, why would you choose Today Cathy? Tomorrow is a stronger antibiotic...
"Today" Is what Jack Mauldin suggested..Thankfully havent had to try it yet : )

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today, tomorrow ... I don't know the difference. I ordered the Today tubes from Jeffers last week after the soremouth started spreading, and after watching that Jack Mauldin video. I've been putting it on everyone's sores, but I've been afraid to use it near or in the eye. You all think it would be safe? Not to be a doubter, because I trust you all tremendously, but how do you know it would be damaging to the eye itself?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Oh ok.

Either is fine in the eye. They are the same antibiotics that are run IV for MRSA and I use them regularly on DH for flashburn in his eyes...

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I wouldnt want to get it in the eye, since its unknown to me what that can do...but on the sore outside the eye should be fine...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Goathiker, thank you!

IN the eye, huh? Do you think that is what you would do, vs a drop of antibiotic? Or rather than the Neo****in? (Why don't people write out the whole thing on here?)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes, I would put it in the eye. The phone app software thinks that Neosporin is a dirty word...It's kind of funny. I just treated a buck for pink eye with Tomorrow. He is fine and healthy.
It also works great on infected piercings :p

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, they're not allowed to get piercings, so I won't have to worry about that one. :)

OK, in the eye it goes. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh ok.

Either is fine in the eye. They are the same antibiotics that are run IV for MRSA and I use them regularly on DH for flashburn in his eyes...
Just curious ... is your DH a welder or something like that?

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Oh ok.

That is fascinating. Will definitely be keeping that in mind. Would it be good for just a general eye problem like a scrape after getting something in you eye?

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but sore mouth is zoonotic (contagious between animals and humans)! :eek:

Just be careful...

Patrick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts