Soremouth in humans

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Excalibuitar, May 23, 2011.

1. Excalibuitar

Excalibuitar New Member

May 23, 2011
    Hi guys. Have any of you, or someone you know, gotten soremouth from a goat?

I'm very inexperienced with goats. I bought a doe yesterday as a companion for the doe I already had. The breeder told me that her lips were scabby because she has soremouth, and it's "no big deal", common, will go away soon. I, not being very knowledgeable AND having just driven quite far from my home to meet her, wend ahead and purchased her. A friend of mine drove the car while I sat with her in my lap.

Well, I immediately googled "soremouth in goats" on my phone, found out it never leaves your soil, and can be easily transferred to humans who come into contact with them without wearing gloves, and then generally lasts around 2 months with open sores and what was described multiple places as "extreme pain".

So, I'm already paranoid and a bit of a hypochondriac - Naturally, I freaked out, drove back to return the goat, drove to the store and used liquid hand sanitizer, washed, sanitized again, drove home and removed my clothes out on the front porch and hit the shower. Did I overreact? The breeder seemed to think so. At the time I was very angry that they didn't even bring up the fact that I should be careful handling them. They didn't have gloves at all, and were handling many goats on their property, including ones with soremouth.

So. This little doe, who I feel very sorry for, was sitting in my lap for about 3 hours. As far as I can remember I never touched her lips, which appeared to be the only area with scabs, though after learning about the virus I didn't really want to inspect her any more as I was cramped in a tiny area with her on my lap, without gloves or anything.

She never left my car, never had contact with my other doe, never set foot in the yard. I have discarded my clothing from that day to be disinfected further and then washed by themselves.

My main question about this I suppose is, if I do come down with this virus, can I give it to my goats? I've read that it cannot be transferred between humans.

I feel like quite an idiot for not trusting my gut feeling and getting a second opinion on the situation before I agreed to let her cuddle up in my lap and take her home.

Secondly, how long does it take for signs of it to appear on your skin? This was only yesterday evening. I'm freakin out here.

Thank you very much! No goat expert friends to ask...

2. Welcome from NJ :wave:
    Sorry to meet you under these circumstances.

I have never had my goats get soremouth so I can't answer much.

This is incorrect!(((I do know that it is very common and most herds have had it)))) This I have found out was mis information. I apologize for putting it and I stand corrected. I did not have a great mentor when I started with goats and was told this by the few people that gave me information when I was starting. I also had read this on the CDC site and I guess I misunderstood it. ..
    I am also attaching a link to the CDC with more information on soremouth. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/orf_virus/

It can be transmitted to people. This breeder should have warned you of the possibility of you getting it. I feel they also should have let you know about it before you drove there so you could know what you were getting.

I have edited my post to avoid placing false information out there. I was misinformed.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually I disagree - it is not common and it is dangerous for kids (the sores can get so bad they can eat or drink) and some adult goats who get it.

I would take it very seriously!

in my opinion you didnt overreact but reacted correctly. You dont need yourself or your family to get it and for sure you other goat would have gotten it from the new doe.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry but sore mouth is a BIG DEAL! It shouldn't be common at all and any herd with exposure should be isolated from contact with other goats for at least 6 months!!!

It can be spread to people. I know how you feel because I would feel the same. You have done everything possible to keep your herd and you clean at this point. If you do come down with it(you probably wont) then you would need to be careful handling your own goats.

Again I am going to stress to people that if they do NOT know the answer to questions that they not assume the answer.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I've had soremouth...

what my doctor told me is that when humans get it it's not like with animals - as you only get it in one place. And once you have gotten it, you are immune (a bit like chicken pox). You get it where there is a cut on your skin. I had it on my knuckle, it looked different from soremouth on my sheep (Ive had that a lot, but never on the goats) it was about 1/4 inch in diameter, dark pink/purple in colour with a white centre - which burst like a volcano after a couple of weeks. it lasted for about 6 weeks - dr said there was no treatment, just wait for it to go away.

it was painful but - not a big deal. My friend got it a couple of weeks after I did - he got it on two knuckles.

Never had an issue with it after that. Yes it looked horrible... but it wasn't a massive deal.

LW

6. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    It is very very common around here, I haven't spoken to a sheep or goat farmer that has any amount of animals for any amount of time that hasn't had it. That said, we have had goats for 14 years and have managed to keep it out of our herd. We had show sheep come to the farm and break with it. But we keep all animals in isolation for 3 months and all our show animals for 4H always stay in isolation and aren't just free to roam in our barn yard and fields.

It was no easy under taking dealing with the sheep, feeding them, keeping our feet and clothes clean, We ended up with only about 3 weeks left before the fair to shear and work the animals. we sheared them over plastic and wrapped up all the wool, we washed them away from the main yard and barn area, then we cleaned out he pens, washed them down, disenfected.

The seller should have informed you that it is contagious to all species. that wasn't very nice of them. It should be up to the buyer if they want to deal with it. Some people really don't think it is a big deal, I would atleast like to know the animal had it or could break with it, so I can be extra careful with them.

We had another incident with sore mouth, were a friend of my 16 year old daughter needed help shearing her sheep, they didn't have any of their own equipement, nor had ever done it before. We hauled all our stuff over to their place, my daughter was about half way done with the first lamb, when she noticed it. She asked them if they new what it was, and they said,yes, "it was no big deal." She said they looked and acted weird about it. She finished shearing all the lambs, none to happy with them. We later found out the mom new exactly what it was. Wouldn't it have been nice for her to have shared that with us. My daughter spent hours cleaning all her equipement, she was so mad.

MY point being, it is pretty common in some areas, atleast here it is, but I would still not just assume you will get it, and I would still try to prevent it.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok more to confuse you.

It might be common in some areas but I would make sure that if I was in that area, I would NOT take goats out. It is vety painful and yes a baby can die from it. I say die from it becasue it hurts so bad that they stop eating. If I lived in a area where it was common I would be contacting the state vet and find out why it is not under control.

I had a 4Her that had a goat with sore mouth. We happened to do our monthly meeting at her house and she gave us all a lesson on it. We all wore glove because YES you can get it. The goats NEED to be seperated from the rest of the herd.

I will say when I was in High School, I got "sore mouth". I will say if the goats are in as much pain as I was, I am not suprise they stopped eating. I lost a lot of weigh becuase I could not eat anything at all but warm Jello. Hot killed me, cold killed me, salt and so on. Nothing with any texture, because I had sores all over my mouth.

I feel bad for that baby. Maybe if the baby gets cleared up you can go back and get her.

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I got soremouth from a market lamb. Had no clue what it was, had it when we got it from the breeder. I got it on the corner of my mouth. I put iodine on it, like I was doing with my sheep. It dried it out and kept it from getting bigger and it took a couple of weeks for it to go away completely, much less of a time than it should have. Probably because I kept it so dried out. But yes, it sucks to get it and it is very contagious to other animals. You would have had to quarantine her for a long time and then completely disinfect that area.

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I know of several large farms that have had and have recurrences every 5-10 years of it. It is NOT a big deal and people overreact about it. It is NOTHING like CAE, CL or anything of that sort where your reaction would have been waranteed. It is very similar to having something like a cold run its course through the herd or even something like ringworm. Once a goat has it, the goat becomes immune to that strain. However if a newer strain develops, that can affect the goats again. Hence the reason people see it every 10 years or so.

If you'd like to talk to me about it feel free to email me privately. I refuse to disclose names of farms who have had it though so don't ask. Its not my place to tell their names. The information you find online is going to scare you, but no matter what you look up they'll tell you the worse of anything.

In reference to kids, yes it can be deadly for kids especially when they get sores on their mouths and then infect the udder of their dams, this will make the doe not want to stand to let the kids nurse so the kids would become weak and die from lack of nurishment.

Good luck on your decisions and I hope others will help reassure you too. I think this along with several other topics should be discussed. It might help to irradicate some of the misconceptions of these things and learn from them. Hope this helps.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry but it is a BIG Deal! Your show season is over if you get it during show season. There are also several strains of it, and if your so unlucky you could get several strains at the same time. Soremouth can be a huge financial loss because of sick goats, dead goats, loss of Sales, ect. So please don't say it's NOT a big deal when it is.

Anyone is welcome to PM me as well about soremouth and how to treat, how it's spread, ect.

11. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I agree that it is a HUGE deal!! We had a suspicious animal at our fair once and YIKES...4hers, parents, supervisors, vets went NUTS!! When state fair came around a few weeks later it was terribly prevelant thru the goats & sheep... I'm telling you it spreads like wildfire, stays in ground & spreads thru the scabs that fall off too, and it DEFINITELY is painful in humans! It absolutely makes my skin crawl to think of a small child getting it from petting an animal...I just can't even imagine! And yes there are a variety of strains & you may have a resistance to one strain but not the others.

I would have HIT THE ROOF to actually pay money bringing a disease onto my property...especially one that could potentially endanger me, my family, and all my other animals! I was told it could also spread between species and that my/my daughters horse on the fairgrounds property could have caught it from exposure at fair - thankfullly no one came back with it.
    You have/had every right to be upset. That was a horrid thing that seller did! HORRIBLE!! Shame on them for deceiving you!

12. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It sounds to me like you did all the right things, and you should be all right. I thought that if you had it in your herd it would usually run through the herd and once it was over they would all be immune. It's sad about the little kid, and also that she didn't tell you ahead of time. Really someone who has it in their herd should not be selling any animal to anyone, or taking any of them anywhere until it is all over. I didn't know it was so hard on kids they would rather starve than eat.

Jan

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yeah the adults would probably be ok - it's the new kids that you introduce to the herd (via birth!) every year that would get it - I have seen lambs with it so bad that the crust of sores on their face is like a tumour - this is lambs that don't belong to me. It's one of the things I've always done - to check the lambs every time I have the sheep through the crush to make sure nobody's getting it.

Don't have sheep any more though, this was my first lambing-less year since 2004 :(

LW

14. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    We had a neighbor loose near 70% of his kid crop from it, out of probably 100 kids. He didn't have the set-up or time to deal with 100 plus sick kids and treating them all. There are some very nasty strains out there.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Excalibuitar

Excalibuitar New Member

May 23, 2011
    Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate the feedback. I was kicking myself as soon as we left the pasture for taking the little doe, but didn't realize until almost home it was such a big deal. That was a terrible day! It was sunday, and I don't have any symptoms.. Not sure how long it takes for them to appear in humans.. Does anyone know?

Anyway, less freaked out now. For the first couple days I just sat around looking at my hands every 5 minutes waiting for huge sores to appear!