Sores above hooves

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Willow_230, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Willow_230

Willow_230 New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    I have a doe I purchased about 2 months ago, she’s about 2 years old and came from really good stock. Today I noticed she has sores on the back of her legs above her hooves. It doesn’t seem to bother her, she lets me touch it and she walks normally. She is the only goat that has it and if it has anything to do with it, it has rained almost non stop for 2 weeks... Any suggestions on what is and how I need to treat her?

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would soak her foot in Epsom salt.

Willow_230 likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, looks like mites.

What I do when I have mites on the feet or legs, I soak their feet in warm water with Epsom salt (as suggested) or Iodine/Betadine whatever I have on hand. I glove up and gently scrub the scabs off while soaking. It may bleed a little, but need to get those scabs off. I dry them really good, then I apply NuStock to the affected area and put Ivermectin Pour On down the back 1cc per 20lbs. I may add a little more and dose more like 1cc per 18lbs. on adults. I reapply NuStock every other day until I see improvement, then every 3 days until hair grows back.
    Ivermectin Pour on every 5-7 days for 3 treatments depending on age, and how bad the goat is affected.