The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was the person who had the goat with staph and sores on her udder! And of course now that mama is okay, baby has to have a problem. :/

Nose Beard Eyelash Human body Jaw

Head Eye Human body Beard Liver

Beard Dog breed Fawn Natural material Event

Dog breed Fawn Natural material Wildlife biologist Felidae

I noticed his armpit was red today when he was climbing up a fence and I was at the perfect angle to see. I picked him up and gasped when I pulled back the hair! At first I thought maybe he was gored in the pit by my other doe mama in their pen until I saw that both sides were equally bad. I immediately brought him inside and trimmed the hair around the area, washed each sore with antibacterial soap and warm water, sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and then with veterycin after. My husband told me that about a week ago he noticed that Vin had a little bald spot on his armpit but that it wasn’t red or swollen so he didn’t think anything of it until when we saw this today.

These pictures are after I clipped his hair around the area, and washed with antibacterial soap and water. Also his mom has been on antibiotics so he’s been getting dosed through her milk for the past 10 days.

His temperature was 103.2. He has always been a chill baby and stood placidly in the sink during the washing, cutting, and drying. He was acting like it wasn’t hurting him at all. He only acted like it was painful when hydrogen peroxide was put on it. Then he started trying to lick it and scratch it off, so whatever it started as he’s definitely damaging it further with his hooves.

Fellow goat lovers - what the heck is this? Just chafing gone wrong? Or something more serious? I was considering applying comfrey powder and wrapping him with gauze but I feel like it would come off in minutes. I was also considering taking him inside my house for the next couple days but my dogs are highly prey driven and I’m worried an accident would happen where they would kill Vin.

·
Super Moderator
15,935 Posts
Oh that is nasty. I’m not sure what is going on but I personally wouldn’t like the fact a doe had staph and then this came up. Good chance it’s a nasty case of staph, especially since he has longer hair and it can trap moisture and germs against the skin. Good job on the clipping and washing. I think what I would do is make up some diluted iodine and treat it with that. It’s good for staph and just your every day injuries. You don’t really want to use hydrogen peroxide because it can damage the good skin tissue. Also he’s really not being dosed with antibiotics. The amount that actually makes it threw her system and into the milk is t much so don’t count on that.
Gloves!!! I can’t stress that enough! I also don’t think I would want him in the house. Staph is not fun and you really don’t want it.
Keep a eye on his temp. It’s not a fever but is on the high side of normal. And I would also check him out really good for any bugs. If lice they LOVE the neck area. Sometimes they can also get fleas so just check him all over.

·
Super Moderator
34,555 Posts
I too agree. I prefer Chlorhexidine but what ever you used on mom's udder...use that. You want to keep it dry. Don't wrap it..that can cause moisture.
And yes..use gloves...

Best wishes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Does anyone have an idea why it was his armpits?? Maybe bc of his lymph nodes? I also have some of moms cephalosporin left over…she was 75lbs and took 1.5ccs for 10 days, should I use it on him in addition to the sprays?

·
Super Moderator
34,555 Posts
It is strange under the arm pit..it could be it got really moist there and so was a good environment for it. Or perhaos its more **** hot spots. Either way..the Chlorhexidine should clear it up. 🤞
Antibiotics should not be needed as lpng as it doesn't look infected and his temp is good.

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,357 Posts
It is strange under the arm pit..it could be it got really moist there and so was a good environment for it. Or perhaos its more **** hot spots. Either way..the Chlorhexidine should clear it up. 🤞
Antibiotics should not be needed as lpng as it doesn't look infected and his temp is good.
You got censored or did you put those there on purpose?

·
Super Moderator
34,555 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it has been raining (I’m in OR) for like the past 2 weeks straight so it has been very wet and moist out here. Temp is still good and his personality is the same too! Thank you I’ll keep spraying him :)

·
Super Moderator
34,555 Posts
If the spray doesn't seem to be cutting it un a day or two..they nustock. It will help dry it up

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
1 - 14 of 14 Posts