The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Alpines. A couple days ago while I was milking I noticed in between one of my does front legs right on the beast plate was a sore that started oozing puss. I started treating it with vetericyn after each milking. This morning I noticed that my other doe has the same sore in the same place. It seems strange to me that they get them in the same place as each other and started thinking maybe their is something else going on. Does anyone know why this would be happening and how I can treat it?

·
Super Moderator
59,726 Posts
I would have the pus tested for CL. I would also check to see if there is something they could have punctured it on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
CL is a bacteria that cannot be treated with antibiotics,the goat's body pushes to puss to the surface,forming a lump,it loses hair and bursts if you don't catch it in time and spreads to the rest of the herd.Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have seen this happen it is from the goats front feet rubbing there when they go to lay down (when on their front knees) if not caught early it can get sore. Check the feet to make sure no sharp edges and keep it clean. I would use iodine after cleaning it.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I've seen some get the same thing in the winter months when they are inside, lying down a lot. The spots are directly above where the hoofs rest when they are laying down.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much. Them rubbing their hooves there makes more sense than the CL. I didn't see any abscess. I will continue to keep it clean and check their hooves. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts