Sorry one more thing. *pics added! videos now too*

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, May 22, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I get to go work with my horse tomorrow! I'm sooooo excited! It's been raining here so much and I just got a lunge line so I can work with her. I'm going to work her in the indoor arena, which FINALLY has a working light! That way the other horses don't get in the way again. But I guess you guys wouldn't want pics now would you? :?

2. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Re: Sorry one more thing. lol

Are you kidding? You're in big trouble if you don't post pics!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Ditto ....are you kidding.....we would love to see pics.......and good luck to you ......hope your horse behaves well for you...... :wink: :greengrin:

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yeah, um, my camera was dead when we went there. So my friend took a couple pictures of her but ya'll will have to wait until I can get them from her.

But I SWEAR I'm going to kill that gelding that's out there! :veryangry: He kept stealing her! (herding her away and what not) I finally managed to catch her and she did pretty good at lunging (sp?) except she did try to kick at me 3 times at the very end, but I did make sure we ended on a good note. She looks FANTASTIC though, I mean I was about to drool over my own horse, lol.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

congrats on getting your horse out...i dont think ive seen pictures of her in awhile though :( LOL :wink: jk.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

We will wait for the pics.....it's OK..... :wink:

Glad she did good... in lounging.......the kicking though ....is a no no and I hope you corrected her..........I don't want to see you get hurt...... :(

7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

I did my best to correct her, but I'm not sure I did it right. I made her keep going and only let her stop when I decided. What's the best way to correct her?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

you did good... :wink: ..do you have a lounge whip? did you use a chain on her?
    If you have a chain on her....make sure ...that the chain is under her chin....never over her nose...watch her close...when you see her....start to turn.. don't let her ..................try not to let her get to the point of kicking at you...catch her with a yank before she does it ....and a tap on the butt with the lounge whip.......try to keep her head in the right position....if she is full butt to you ...lightly yank at the lounge line.......the chain will tighten a little ...then release enough to get her attention.....and make her quit that...... move her forward... tap her butt with the whip..........

testing the chain.........start out with a light yank....if you get no response from her ....yank just a little more....you don't want to hurt her.....just get her attention..... to stop her from turning her butt to you.........basically the same time....with a lounge whip..... tap her bottom ......and move her forward ......work her for a while after..........as you did.....good job there by the way..... :wink: :greengrin:

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Yep I had the whip, but no chain. My co op didn't have any. :shrug:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

you did good ... :wink: .........you will find... if you did use one ....she will be easier to correct........... :wink: :greengrin:

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Re: Sorry one more thing. *pics added!*

Well I went up there with my sister today to get my tack for cleaning, so we decided we'd try and get some more pictures of her while we were there. She walked right up to me! I think she was apologizing!

So here are the pictures from today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other trouble makers. (the gelding is the one closest to the camera)
    [​IMG]

The Black mare.
    [​IMG]

My sister with Star.
    [​IMG]

Me and Star. :greengrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

Pretty-- animals and you and your sister! Sorry those gorgeous horses are causing so much trouble!!

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

All of you and the horses are beautiful........... :love: :wink: :greengrin:

she walked right up to you........that is a good feeling.... :wink: :greengrin:

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

Have you tried join-up with her??

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thank you! It is a GREAT feeling when your horse will actually walk straight up to you, especially after yesterday. :)

What's Join-Up?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Joining up....is what I PMed you....here are a few more tips... :wink:
    When you are lounging her ....you will see:
    The inside ear will be turned towards you....she may lick and chew, head lowering.
    ..... Continue to push her, change directions every five or six circuits. you will see your horse angle her head to you, which is a sign.... she is ready to negotiate her position.
    When she drops her head .....very close to the ground, you have won her respect. she now understands ....you are not a predator....and not threatened by you...As soon as you see these signs...stop her "woe"... drop eye contact .... soften ....body language ... bringing the hand nearest the horse across your tummy with fingers closed......drop the whip .......after she stops....drop the rope....walk up to her dropping eye contact.....and go pet her between the eyes......turn away and take a couple of steps away from her...... This is when she should ....come to you...follow you.. and 'join up'...... :wink: :greengrin:
    Reward her... with a rub between the eyes or... on the neck.....

standing... next to her.... on the left hand... or near side... facing forwards... Walk off and circle round the horses nose to the right... she will follow.... Complete a small circle .... reward your horse.... Do this in both directions......That is joining up.... :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup:

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

That sounds perfect for working with her! I'll try it out tomorrow when I work with her and try to get a video. :thumbup:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

that sounds great Crissa...... :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup: :leap:

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

pam "the horse whisperer"