The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the biggest rookie and gave my goat half an avocado. What do I do?! Will she be okay? I didn’t realize it was toxic. 1 year old Nigerian dwarf.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Give activated charcoal asap. I'm so sorry. Sending prayers she has a strong system.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Activated charcoal and I suggest calling your vet. They may have some extra insight. Avocado leaves are definitely toxic, but I'm not so sure about the fruit. A vet may know more, and a vet will not only have plenty of activated charcoal on hand, they'll be able to tube it into your goat along with oil and water to help dilute, coat the gut, and move things along. I hope everything turns out ok!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I contacted a couple vets with mixed replies ranging from your goat will and die and she is fine. Finally I reached a veterinary toxicology professor (random connection and I love the heck out of my goats) who said the toxic rate is 25g/kg. So unless it was like 6 avocados she should be fine. Anyway to whom it may concern.

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Leaves, seed and fruit is toxic but at different levels. Hopefully she will do well 🤞

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
In a case like this a vet shouldn't tell you, "Your goat will die." They should offer treatment options! Eating something toxic is an emergency but treatment is often successful if it's caught right away before the toxins are absorbed. In this case I tend to agree with the vet that thinks your goat will be ok, but any vet who thought this was an emergency should have told you to seek immediate treatment. If you don't currently have a regular vet, this is a good opportunity to weed out a few of the names in the phonebook!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I thought the fruit is ok to eat... not great for them because it can cause scouring. But that the tree, bark, leaves and pitts are the things to really keep them away from. Hmmmm learned something new today. ;). Ours do not get avocado but i have a hound that will beg for some avocado fruit lol! He gets a few bites every once in a while and is ok though.

Had a husky malamute once that LOVED chocolates. And i mean LOVED them. That foolish dog! Lol. He got a bag of kisses once and i had a pile of foil wrappers and a pile of the little string thingers left when he was done. Vet said he would have to eat his weight in it at one time to kill him even though he may have an upset tum. The goober. But you could not eat chocolate around him. Ever. He also loved in the shell peanuts. I would have a pile of shells and a pile of the husks when he was done with those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts