Oregon southern or, mixed herd

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by adriHart, Apr 23, 2013.

1. adriHart

adriHart goat Mamma

Nov 1, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I'll start. I have a mixed mini herd in Grants Pass, southern Oregon. So far I have 12 but 4 for sale at the moment. I am NOT interested in registering or showing, although I like to watch. I am more interested in milking and possibly packing as I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wether's nobody will buy but that I love. Welcome north westerners!

2. mistivydel

mistivydel New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Northern Cali, first time owner!

Hi adriHart!

It's exciting to hear of another goat owner so close by! I'm a first time goat owner located in Crescent City, CA. Our herd is just starting out with two Nigerian Dwarf does and a buck. We're in the same boat as far as being more interested in milking than in registering or showing.

Looking forward to seeing who else is in the area!

3. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Hi all, I'm about 20 miles outside Yreka. About an hour and a half south of Grants Pass.

I wish we could get a wether as a friend for our guy. I'd have to go over the logistics of it with my boyfriend though, but maybe.

I just got surprised with a big old buck on the lawn a few months ago. Right now he's in the field next door with our neighbor's nubian does. :kidblack:

4. mccutchc

mccutchc New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Is there anybody out there from North Texas. I live in Farmersville and would love a goat buddy. I have five goats and a donkey that I do nothing but hang out with. Even though I've had them for 5 yrs I have a lot to learn about goats. We bought our ranch because I bottle fed Tater and fell in love. We own Tater's Tenn Tex Ranch. Holler if you're near by.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Greetings everyone, we are Laughing Stock Boers.
    Right now there are two wethers available & a couple of doelings. Ages are end of Jan-mid March. None of them registered.
    Also one 97% Purebred buckling who isnt banded yet.

Meat or pets. All horned.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. adriHart

adriHart goat Mamma

Nov 1, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    possibly I could arrange to bring them. I go camping frequently and could maybe go that direction instead of where I usually go.right now I have 2adult Nubian weathers on Craigslist and I just had two mini LaMancha/Nigerian Dwarf weathers or bucklings born on the 14th this month! sadly they all need to go because I need room for the girls.

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi everyone, I'm a goat packing hobbiest and I live in the old coast mountains west of Salem.
    adriHart, California is the hardest state to import goats to. Make sure you check out the laws and cross every t. I avoid taking tha boys there because of the regulations.

8. adriHart

adriHart goat Mamma

Nov 1, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Oh...I hadn't even thought about that.I don't register my animals so I didn't think there were any rules and these are the first animals I have ever bought or sold.so I didn't know but now I do.. where would I find out information like that?

9. goathiker

Calling the California state vet would be the easiest.

I believe that they...
    Have to be marked to herd of origin with registration and tattoo or scrapies tags.
    Must have a health certificate
    Must have an import permit and import number
    Must be negative for Brucelliosois and Tuberculosis
    Some states have made it easier for wethers. The state vet will tell you.

10. mistivydel

mistivydel New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I didn't have any trouble bringing my buck from So Oregon to where I live in California...but I also don't register or any fancy things like that.

11. goathiker

Maybe they've made it easier then. That would be nice, I've always wanted to do the hike around Lake Tahoe.

12. mistivydel

mistivydel New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Life being crazy as it often is, I've unexpectedly moved up to Grants Pass in the last month. Goats and all, we've got a new place.

adriHart or anyone else - any recommendations for a veterinarian in the area who would see goats if necessary? I have one doe who's incredibly pregnant and due in the next week or so, and I'd just like to have a vet's number on hand just in case.

Thanks!

13. southern Oregon

I see this is an older thread, but I don't log in much so miss most everything! I am a half hour north of Grants Pass and raise Nigerian dwarf. Ones of great quality, but I am not real big into showing.

Recently someone told me of a woman vet in Grants Pass who seemed a bit knowledgeable about goats. Can't remember who she was though.

14. mistivydel

mistivydel New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Not sure if anyone checks this thread, but I'm looking for a Nigerian dwarf buck to lease for breeding two of my yearling does. Clean herd, they never leave our farm. Anyone in southern Oregon who has a buck available, please contact me on here or email me at [email protected]
    Thanks!