The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend works in a soy bean plant. On one of the machines the soybeans get pressed into a ring at a thousand degrees. These are removed when they shut the plant down. Dogs absolutely love them and I heard that it's good for their fur.
How about goats? Would it be healthy for them too?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had a choice and the money I would feed all natural foods to all my animals. As it is my mom's boyfriend buys the dog food and it's the cheapest stuff that they'll eat. One good thing is that most table scraps that go to the dogs cats and chickens don't contain wheat (my mother and I have celiac's).

As far as the soy goes; a vet who only feeds her dogs fresh meat let her's eat them.

I'm very hesitant to give the goats these that's why I was asking the more experienced goat owners here.

·
1,524 Posts
I wouldn't give it to my dogs, since soy is one of the biggest allergens for dogs. I know most commercial animal feeds contain soy as the protein base, but its not supposed to be good for animals.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
This is kind of an interesting conversation considering that almost ALL goat food out there is soy based.

Are these dried soy hulls?

·
Registered
818 Posts
This is kind of an interesting conversation considering that almost ALL goat food out there is soy based.

Are these dried soy hulls?
I do know that. I was just thinking that is might not be processed apporpriately for goats.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Most livestock feeds are soy based. Goats actually break it down pretty well since they are a ruminant. Monogastric animals, people included, have a harder time since we don't have fermentation to digest it.

I would check on exactly what it is because too much of anything is bad. Also, soybean hulls and the actual soybean have different nutritional values so be sure to check into that as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts