The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen this has a high protein in it. Maybe feed it with their milking ration? Will the milk taste funny? Any experience with it?

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okkkkkkkk........... So does anyone have a suggestion on an organic, high protein, grain, that we can add to our milking ration?

· Registered
73 Posts
You can find Organic Soybean Meal, I would check with your local grain co-op to see if that would even be a possibility. Also Cottonseed meal is an alternative but you also need to make sure that it is Organic as there are genetically modified cotton plants as well.

What is your current milking ration that you are using?

· Registered
6,548 Posts
Soybean meal shouldn't affect the taste of your milk. It is a supplement tho so only a small amount should be used. My hubby got some meal and my goats didn't like it. Of course, he decided to add a huge amount to their feed....sigh.... You could also do roasted soybean halves. We've added that to our mix to up the protein and the goats seem to love those. I'm not sure "organic" excludes GMO's....organic means no chemicals used. GMO is a genetically modified organism....there's no chemicals in that usually either.

Oh...and make sure you use ROASTED soybeans...raw are toxic to most animals (including humans) to some degree.

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can find Organic Soybean Meal, I would check with your local grain co-op to see if that would even be a possibility. Also Cottonseed meal is an alternative but you also need to make sure that it is Organic as there are genetically modified cotton plants as well.

Well, at the moment, we mix ADM dairy goat, beet pulp shreds, alfalfa pellets, and BOSS. The reason I started this thread was because we are switching over to more organic. So the mix that I'm going to use is whole oats, barley, shredded beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, BOSS, and a tad bit if corn. I wanted to find something with high protein to add to their diet, that's organic.

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Soybean meal shouldn't affect the taste of your milk. It is a supplement tho so only a small amount should be used. My hubby got some meal and my goats didn't like it. Of course, he decided to add a huge amount to their feed....sigh.... You could also do roasted soybean halves. We've added that to our mix to up the protein and the goats seem to love those. I'm not sure "organic" excludes GMO's....organic means no chemicals used. GMO is a genetically modified organism....there's no chemicals in that usually either.

Oh...and make sure you use ROASTED soybeans...raw are toxic to most animals (including humans) to some degree.
Did you try the milk after the soybeans were added? Are you sure it didn't change the taste? Cause I know that deer meat from deer that have been eating soybeans tastes funny.

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know of a high protein grain that would be good to add to their milking feed?

· Registered
55 Posts
What is their "milking" feed that you reference? Most dairy pellets or dairy feed is high protein and you probably don't need to add to it. Alfalfa is good for protein but it can be GMO too, so ask the manufacturer or buy organic.

Good luck

3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is their "milking" feed that you reference? Most dairy pellets or dairy feed is high protein and you probably don't need to add to it. Alfalfa is good for protein but it can be GMO too, so ask the manufacturer or buy organic.

Good luck
ADM, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, and BOSS. I'm not even gonna mess with organic. Too much GMO in everything. Even the alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. I will take out the ADM and add oats and barley because of the grain by-products in it. We will add Calf- Manna for the protein in it. Thanks for your replies everyone!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.