The Goat Spot Forum banner
221 - 240 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I appreciate the well wishes. I will just glad when the fever breaks. I'm sitting doing nothing trying to get enough energy back to get ready to do chores the other thing I did today was go get a ton of grain cuz I'm supposed to do it on Saturday but it's supposed to snow tomorrow and I was on my last bag of grains so there was no option. But I was pretty slow unloading the bags of grain today. I did catch a few pictures while I was out there and I'm going to start my waiting threads I think.
Oh fevers are no fun! I'm actually on my way right now to get feed lol. Ohhhh I'm very excited to see your girls threads!!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I know my girly will never have the "perfect udder" but I'm happy with it!😊. As I know she's not registered and a mix of Nigerian and Pygmy. I do like knowing that I can sell her daughters as homestead mini milkers for small house holds so that's cool😁.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,150 Posts
I want to see that girl with a 12hr fill! 🤩 Her udder seems very nice for being an unregistered mixed breed!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I want to see that girl with a 12hr fill! 🤩 Her udder seems very nice for being an unregistered mixed breed!
Yeah I'll probably be keeping her baby in the house tonight so you might get a 12 hour fill pic tomorrow!😁. Thanks. Im proud of her!😊

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Also, we ran into a guy whom got two goats from us back in August. He said he wants Sparrows baby (that is if my dad says we can sell her). Which my dad will be giving me an answer when he's home!! My mom left it up to him lol.. yay!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know my girly will never have the "perfect udder" but I'm happy with it!😊. As I know she's not registered and a mix of Nigerian and Pygmy. I do like knowing that I can sell her daughters as homestead mini milkers for small house holds so that's cool😁.
Do you use her milk? They say that Pygmy butterfat is even higher than ND, don't they? I'm just wondering if you find her milk super rich.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,150 Posts
Do you use her milk? They say that Pygmy butterfat is even higher than ND, don't they? I'm just wondering if you find her milk super rich.
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd give you my experience/thoughts too. 😉

I'm not sure if Pygmys have a higher butterfat % then ND, but I have milked both a half Pygmy/ND (she is 50/50 mixed) and a full ND doe. I found that my pure ND's milk was a lot creamier and richer (a lot more cream would separate from her milk then my mixed doe). I also honestly much preferred my full ND's milk to my half Pygmy/ND's. With that being said though, I do know butterfat depends on the individual doe and her genetics. So, I guessing my 50/50 doe must of not come for does with a high butterfat % while my Nigie does.

I just looked up the butterfat % for both breeds:
Pygmies: 4.5% - 11%
Nigerian Dwarfs: 6% - 10%

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd give you my experience/thoughts too. 😉

I'm not sure if Pygmys have a higher butterfat % then ND, but I have milked both a half Pygmy/ND (she is 50/50 mixed) and a full ND doe. I found that my pure ND's milk was a lot creamier and richer (a lot more cream would separate from her milk then my mixed doe). I also honestly much preferred my full ND's milk to my half Pygmy/ND's. With that being said though, I do know butterfat depends on the individual doe and her genetics. So, I guessing my 50/50 doe must of not come for does with a high butterfat % while my Nigie does.

I just looked up the butterfat % for both breeds:
Pygmies: 4.5% - 11%
Nigerian Dwarfs: 6% - 10%
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your experience. I was thinking a mix could be the way to go, but even then it looks like genetics play a huge part...makes sense though.
There's a huge variation in the butterfat for the Pygmies!

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Surprisingly her milk is pretty rich, and she has pretty high butter fat. I do agree with Dandy that it depends on the does genetics though.

221 - 240 of 286 Posts