Special Rubbin' and/or Lovin' spots?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatMominFL, Dec 20, 2009.

1. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hope it's not a weird question, but do goats have a fave way of being rubbed or petted? I know my dogs differ, but just want to know if goats like to be rubbed, gently patting (like tapping open hand type thing) or around the horns or ears or whatever...

Now I'm really off to bed :wave:

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    The way to a goat's heart is shoulder scratches. Kids especially seem to love scratches along the spine I've found.

This is how I tamed all my wild goats. :greengrin:

ETA: You'll know you found the spot when they make a funny face and turn their head to the side.

Here is a good example:

[​IMG]

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep....Epona's got it!! Kids enjoy their butts scatched too...try not to touch their horns, but you can scratch around the base of their ears.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can scratch the base of their ears once they trust you (if thats an issue) but until then leave the horns alone as it is a challenge sign to them.

Mine like a good butt scratch and their neck as well. Right down the ridge of their back is always a good spot too

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    seems like my goats like to be scratched just about anywhere except....there horn area.... mine do like there cheek ...gently rubbed...but don't touch my ears....LOL :greengrin: :wink:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine dont like their ears or horns touched, but really like the baseof their necks, and shoulders rubbed. ;)

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Mine always seem to like to be rubbed on their necks. Like right on the sides. Also, behind the ears, shoulders, chest, and the rump. Mine generally don't like their head or sides touched.

8. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Yeah I got the side of the head thing when I did the shoulders.. Heyshey likes his cheeks, he about fell asleep. No horn touching!

Um... one jumped on my head today... hello... manners kids :shocked:

Once I sit to their level they are all over me... very friendly little guys and they have only been here 2 days and tonight is the 3rd night....

Thanks for the tips!

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They love you already! Once you are on their level...regardless of how little or big they are, you will always have a goat in your lap :love:

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yup, they love you! :thumbup:

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Well it seems that my boys are the oddballs, besides the ears they love to be scratched around their horns, they also love to have thier briskets scratched. But what really does it for them is a old hair brush, they love being brushed and will stand for hours at a time.

I started this when they were young, so when spring hits and they start shedding and itching, I can sit out there, talk with the boys as I am brushing them and give me a chance to look them over good and reconnect after breeding season.

12. When I get Robin between the shoulders she does this cute head up with the tounge thing flapping. It is too cute and she will BUG me until she gets her scratch. LOL :roll: