The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a couple wonderful calls today, 1st was from the owner of a restaurant and brewery here in town not 5 miles away that said I can have some of there spent grains each week. Later I got a call from her brewer telling me that he will call me 1st when hes done brewing next week I can have as much as I want of his aprox. 3-4 barrels each time he brews 2-3 times a week durning the winter slow months and 4-8 times a week during summer! :wahoo::stars: So my questions now is, how much can I use of this with the goats? Would I need to add anything too it? I will be feeding my chickens some as well but my main concern is my girls, if this is something I can feed the for there grain ration with out adding much other then boss and alfalfa :pray: I can save me some major $. Being on limited income that's a VERY BIG deal.

Also if you happen to know can I feed that instead of there laying pellets to the chickens? would provide enough protein etc for them on that?:pray: If so I will be in heaven cause I spend over a hundred bucks a month in just feed for the girls both hooved and foul!

Can it be fed to horses? :pray:

Fill me full of info PLEASE!!!!
You guys are so GREAT!!!

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I feed it. I just got another batch on Sunday. For the goats since it is 25%-29% protein you need to feed it with alfalfa or beet pulp pellets, something with calcium in it. I have ALOT of allstock Nutrena feed that I am mixing it with as well. It is a good supplement, but it's lacking in the calcium department because it is spent grain, and all the carbs have been taken out of it. I started slowly mixing it in to their grain ration.

Also, the older it gets, the less they like it. Goathiker told me to rinse it before I give it to see if it helps, because of the acid in it. I will try it this time.

My chickens absolutely LOVE the stuff.

As far as your horses, I don't see why not, but I wouldn't just give them that. I don't have horses so not sure on that, but I don't see why it would hurt.

My sheep love it too, but then again they alway eat like they are starving...makes me wonder if I have pigs in sheeps clothing...LOL...

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I feed it wet. In this weather it keeps pretty well, for several weeks. I like it because I can put the herbal dewormer in it and it sticks to it and they eat it right up. Also, when we had a cold snap last week I took a strainer and a tea kettle full of boiling water (the grain froze) and heated it up that way so they had a warm dinner. Yeah, I have spoiled stinkers;-)

I might try drying it for the summer months, but I'm not sure if it will work or not...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts