Spice's Leg

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Nov 5, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So as most of you know Spice hurt her leg on Friday after she got it caught in a chair and was hanging by it for a while. Her pastern is still very swollen and her hamstring is to. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what might help bring down the swelling. I tried poultice on her pastern, but that didn't seem to help much.

I know that nothing is broken because I had x-rays taken. But she still runs around half the time like a three legged goat.

Also, do I need to worry about founder in the other back leg, like in horses?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you give her any banamine to reduce the swelling?

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My only suggestion would be to do what I would do for a horse - I have never had an injuried goat. Hosing it and an anti-inflamitory like asprin (very cautiuosly due to possible rumen injury.) I think I would keep her as confined as I could- maybe with a companion in a smaller area so she rests the leg more but not so confined she doesn't move at all.
    Oh an massage- that is great for reducing swellings on horses. :shrug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would use banimine ...........
    I am sorry your goat is hurting... and I pray for a speedy recovery..... :pray:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She got banamine when she first did it, but it is very hard on their liver so I don't like to use it unless I need to.
    I have some liniment so I rubbed that into her leg. She REALLY didn't like it. It's her lower leg that is bothering her the most. The upper part has a bunch of "knots" along the back of it. I massaged those and she didn't mind that so much.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with you on banimine and the liver...that is scarey....maybe call your vet and see if he or she has any suggestions for the pain and swelling....and that you are very concerned... :worried:

some people wrap the swelling leg with vet wrap...to keep swelling down...the only thing with wrapping....make sure you do not go to tight .... also make sure you check it often and change it ....so it does not cut off circulation....in case it swells a little after bandaging.....very important..

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have this stuff called epsom salt multi purpose poultice made by duravet. You can get it at your local feed store or you may be able to find it online. I always have a jar in my home and barn first aid kit. I a pretty severly damaged ankle that i have sprained numerous times. Torn tendons and ligaments. all kinda of scar tissue and bumps. I use this almost every night on my ankle it helps me tremendously.
    I also reccomended this to a friend of mines who horse has pretty severe arthritis. She used it for a week and was amazed at the results. I also had a lady come into my store and as she was writing her check she was complaining about her arthritis...told her about this stuff. She said she had tried over the counter stuff perscription stuff and nothing worked. She was willing to try anything. She came in a week later thanking me a hundred times over because it worked so well.
    You could also hold an ice pack on her for twenty minutes and then wait a few hours and do it again. that will help to reduce the swelling, make sure you wrap the ice in a cloth or something so its not directly on her skin.
    beth

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My vet said to give the banamine for 5 days to Rythm :? so I wouldnt think that another dose would hurt her

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I may give her another dose tomorrow, I know it wont hurt her when it's that spaced out. Or call the vet and see if there is something else I can give her. I just got the vet bill today..... $220 *dies*

I know that when I was giving Xcell banamine her liver counts weren't so good. Of course that didn't matter at the time because if I didn't get her eating she wasn't going to get any better.

I did poultice her leg again tonight. I think I got more poultice on me and the milking stand than on her leg. :slapfloor: Little brat! I also tried to soak it in some cold water since she wont let me hold anything on it.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I sympathize with you ...RunAround...and know vet bills can be very expensive.....

I know they can be little boogers when it comes time... to treat them ....and I can just picture
    you with poultice all over you ...and spice...... laughing ,,,,,,,,and rolling on the ground....LOL :) :ROFL:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh yes.. the poultice is everywhere. :ROFL:

I made sure the bandage wasn't too tight.

Oh and now she thinks she is all special with a nice green bandage on her leg..... weirdo. I am going to try soaking it in cold water again tomorrow. Need to remember my rain jacket for that! :ROFL: Might try getting that other poultice Sparks talked about

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If I were you I'd try Arnica homeopathic. What we give to any goat with an injury. . . . it is even great for after kidding, helps to heal the uterus. It works for bruising, swelling, etc. You can find it at health food stores (maybe a drugstore, not certain though) also online. Dosing is on the bottle.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    arnica is good stuff great suggestion Olivia

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so funny RunAround....LOL :ROFL:

so she is thinking she is queen of green .........she is adorable....how cute...LOL :)

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Please remember that pain and swelling are a natural occurance for what just happened to her. Her body is trying to repair the damage...some heat and swelling is necessary to that. Pain keeps her from playing around and hurting it further. Good luck, I know what you mean about vet bills...just got the c-section bill...$420!

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What really irks me is the environmental/fuel charge.... shouldn't that just be part of the barn call fee of $55? :GAAH:

I know swelling and pain is normal... I just don't like it lol

I tried soaking it in cold water today, yep good thing I had the rain coat. Water went everywhere! And I kept finding Poultice on everything. Scissors, milking stuff, coat, her, other goats. :ROFL: The poultice doesn't seem to be doing anything so I am done with it for now.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your still taking a shower in the barn.... RunAround.....it's easier in the bathroom.....LOL :ROFL:

I can't blame you...... for not wanting spice to experience pain.......it makes you hurt for her... :cry:

I agree... it should be the barn call fee ...not a added fuel ect fee....and I walked on your property fee....and I touched your goat fee ect...LOL ...just joking.... :)

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yah I couldnt figure that one out! it cost me another 200.00 just for the vet to come out to my house, :scratch: the farm call was like 60.00! :shocked:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I swear, once they see it's a goat they are going to treat, the price goes up. :roll:

Anyways little Spice(I should say big) was doing alright tonight. I sat with her for about an hour and listened to the rain outside. Very calming. I almost fell asleep with her until Sugar started eating my hair. :ZZZ:

She didn't want to share me with the other goats and kept head butting them if they got too close. lol Once she gets as big as Anna she is going to be herd queen. I can't wait to see Anna get her butt kicked. :lol:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it is so fun to watch the dominate little ones grow up. Angie is going to be herd queen one day I just know it. Right now Sweet Pea sort of is. I havent had a true herd queen since Destiny left.

Which reminds me, i miss the girl :sigh: