Spicy Goat finally kidded, but with several issues

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by KLSpoultry, Sep 16, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry Guest

Dec 14, 2008
    Spicy kidded last night at 10:30pm, first was a little boy, then another boy but he was stillborn, then finally my little girl. I've named the boy Ghost (as in ghost chile, the hottest in the world) and the girl Ginger because Spicy ate so many ginger snaps when she was pregnant. All seemed well until Spicy didn't pass the placenta, she has only passes one placenta so far and is not doing well. Vet came out and cleaned her vagina and injected antibiotics and gave her dextrose IV to perk her up. Just :pray: for her to pull through and get better. Right now all she does is stand and breathe heavy.

The kids are doing ok, they wont take a bottle, but only suck on Spicy for 15-30 seconds then lay down. Vet reccomended syringe feeding them 4-5 ounces a day. I just keep :pray: for Spicy, Ghost and Ginger. Here's some pictures before things went downhill (just ignore me, it was late)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any advice?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry that you lost a baby - but the other two are very cute.

Spice may only have 1 placenta - that is normal - but does she seem to be bleeding alot - like maybe a tear in the uterus??

Also - on the kids - did they get any BoSe - that will help them. Also some NutraDrench. If you can get a temp on the kids and if it is nornal then if you can milk out the colostrum and get that into the kids - as much as you can...

let us know how she is doing.

3. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry Guest

Dec 14, 2008
    She is not bleeding at all, but doesn't seem very comfortable or normal.

Babies and momma have all had nutri-drench. Babies are healthy and warm, what's BoSe and where do I get it?

Whats the best way to feed the kids? They will not take the bottle

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Give her some calcium drench if you don't have that then offer her some tums. She probably just had one placenta. Thats normal. If you don't have BoSe then you can give them a bit of a selenium soft gel from the store. You will find them in the vitamin section at a pharmacy.

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Ashley, I'd definitely get some calcium into her.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree also. What you might need to do is go get some of your calcium pills, crush them up to like powder. I did that and I took a handful of them and put them in the blender. My doe ate the whole pile of powder, and pulled out of it.
    Have you gotten a temp on mom? Offer her Molasses water also. As for the babies, I would get ready to tube feed them. They also need that colostrum, so like Allison said milk mom out and get that in them. Try putting a little Karo Syrup on the nipple so they like the sweet taste.
    Good luck and keep us posted. :pray:

They are adorable. :love:

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hows Mom and kids doing? :pray:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I pray...that momma and babies are doing OK .... :pray: :hug: