Spinning on a Drop Spindle

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by MellonFriend, Jan 4, 2021.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I got a drop spindle for Christmas and a bunch of fiber and I am absolutely loving it. I just wanted to share with you guys because I only learned about drop spindles a few months ago and before that I had no idea they existed. I had never known that you could spin on anything other than a spinning wheel so I had never considered it as something possible for me to do even though I would have loved to do it. Drop spindles are inexpensive and can produce the same quality of yarn that a spinning wheel can. The process of spinning is much easier than I would have imagined.

I'm having so much fun making yarn it's all I want to do right now! I really must get some sort of fiber animal someday. What started as a simple hobby has really turned into a passion. I love everything about the process of knitting and spinning![​IMG]]
    This was my first hank, which I'm calling "The World's Tiniest, Ugliest Hank"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to spin this. Those colors! And you wouldn't believe how soft it is.
    [​IMG]

MadHouse, Kass and ksalvagno like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Beautiful yarn! You did a great job!

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Wow you are doing wonderfully! I so do not have patience for a drop spindle. There are spinning wheels that you can get for under three hundred dollars. ;). If you ever want to try one out let me know and i can tell you the ones to look for. And if you need fiber let me know! I have a lot here. I get a blob every month from a fiber club i do and i have not been spinning so much lately. I do not mind sharing at all!

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  4. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks great! I tried a drop spindle once and the little bit of yarn I produced was definitely not a thing of beauty :p I actually got a spinning wheel for Christmas a couple of years ago but I'm not 100% sure how it goes together, and haven't had time to mess with it. I should really try the drop spindle again at the very least- I own wool sheep :p

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  5. MellonFriend

Thanks guys! I was actually quite surprised at how fast the yarn worked up. I figured I might not have the patience for it either, but I have apparently not hit my limit. I've found it quite rewarding!

@Sfgwife, you are so kind. I can definitely see wanting a wheel in the future, but for now I'm set with my little $20 dollar spindle. :) What fiber club are you involved in? Getting a fiber subscription sounds like a neat idea.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Look for youtube videos on your wheel.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I do southern cross fiber. David jas beautiful colors and base fibers. I had to wait almost two years on a wait list to get in his.

8. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

It was purchased secondhand and no markings on it, so I'm not sure what kind it is. I'd looked it up online previously but never found one that quite matched. I just need to spend more time with it, but the dairy goat herd and milk testing has taken over everything for the last year. Too many projects, not enough time! But if OP can get that good in just a couple of weeks, I have hope :p

9. MellonFriend

Yay for giving you hope! I will humbly admit that it was but a few days until I made that first hank I pictured. It was only my second try. If you do end up trying again, show me what you make! I'd love to see!

MadHouse and Calistar like this.
  10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Beautiful work!
    As for fiber, I am wondering if you can’t use your goats’ cashmere underwool? When I brush my goats, even now, some cashmere comes out, and lots will come out in the spring.

MellonFriend likes this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How neat. I have a friend who does this with her alpaca fiber. She sent me some fiber..those brush things and a spindle. I might just need to get those out : )
    When we moved to Texas...I was coming to raise Alpacas. Got into goats instead due to prices but one day..I will have Alpacas! ;)

12. MellonFriend

Mine's undercoats are probably too short, but I'll definitely have to investigate that in spring. I've had my mind on my Pomeranian's undercoat for a while. :lolgoat:

Do it! lets all spin! :D Me and my mom totally want alpacas. We just think they are so adorable.

happybleats and MadHouse like this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

A person around here did that, she used her Pomeranian’s undercoat and mixed it with silk and muskox underwool. I still have the mittens we bought from her, they are the warmest mittens ever.

I also thought of your rabbits... do they have underwool?

Sfgwife likes this.