Spitting Out Cud?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Dec 18, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am posting this for my aunt. She has an eight-year-old doe who has been spitting out her cud on the walls of her stall. The only reason she is concerned is that this doe has a tumor on her neck, underneath her jaw. It is quite large and does not seem to be growing now. It is not spreading to other parts of her body but has went from being a rather small-ish lump to (when I last saw it) about the size of a large grapefruit. I don't know how big it is now but she said it does not seem to be growing. I will paste what she wrote in her email:

My aunt takes great care of her goats. She is a vet tech, if that means something. I'm not sure if she was still planning on having that lump removed next year or not. She was worried about anethesia, this doe is not young. . . .

Any thoughts? Lemme know if you need some more info.

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'm as puzzled as you.. i would have a vet look at the lump

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    A vet has looked at the lump. . . . Yeah, it is pretty puzzling. She did ask one of the vets at the clinic she works at and she gave her two interesting options on what the problem could be.

1. A bad tooth.

2. She is pregnant and is known to have a lot of babies, quints twice. So, maybe a lot of babies pushing on her rumen.

So, if anyone would like to add anything, feel free. :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does she have all of her molars? I would think that an older goat does lose their teeth, therefore not enough to hold the cud when she brings it up. :shrug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is really strange....... I would definitely take your goatie to the vet.... :worried:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She's already been to the vet. She's not my goatie either. Nothing else is wrong with her. . . . eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, everything else is normal. So, I am thinking it's a problem with her tooth, as Liz mentioned. Makes sense, especially because of her age. I will tell my aunt.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    An eight year old doe is not old. She should by rights have the majority of her front teeth left and all of her back teeth - if not, her diet needs to be adressed.

I have two ten year old does, a twelve year old and half shares in a sixteen year old doe, and none of them have problems retaining cud in their mouths. The three 'younger' ones have no front teeth left but have their back teeth. The sixteen year old doe has about half her back teeth and no front teeth.

I would have to say that this lump is affecting the doe's ability to ruminate. How long was it between when you saw the lump? The golden rule of 'lumps' is that if they double in size within a month, there is cause for concern. If it were my animal, I would monitor the doe until her welfare is compromised (as appears to be the case, her ruminating behaviour has been affected) at which point I would make the decision to either operate or euthanase. If your friend decides to operate, she might ask the vet about doing it with local anaesthetic only, Charlotte's caesarian was done under a local only. Otherwise, a slow steady and cautious approach using Rompun (Xylazine) has always worked effectively for me, I havent ever lost one from using this drug, despite the horror tales one hears.

Tell your friend good luck and keep us updated :)

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is a good point. In our area, she is considered an "older doe," by no means ancient but definitely older. Her dam lived to be 14 years and had babies until that age.
    I believe she has had this lump for a couple years. This doe was given to my aunt by someone who did not have the resources to pay for a surgery. My aunt works at a vet clinic and gets just about everything at cost.

I believe it started out as rather small and steadily grew to what it is now, about the size of a grapefruit. The vet looked at it several times. Said it was benign (which means non-cancerous, right or at least not spreading?)

I doubt she would euthanize her, it would have to get really bad to go there. She is quite a happy and content doe. But mean to new goaties. . . .

I'll tell my aunt what you said. At least one vet at the clinic she works at will use the local anesthetic on a caesarian. Not sure if she would use that on this type of operation as it seems more complicated but I'll mention it. Will also add the bit about Xylazine.

Thanks!