The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted 4 more angora goats last week. Even basic healthcare wasn't a priority at their previous home. Pictures are of a 2 year old doe. The sole is overgrown (working on it). Prior to hoof trimming, the nail along the inner toes is shorter than the sole and the outside nail is longer than the sole. So, I'm wondering if I do the opposite and keep the outside nail shorter and let the inner nail grow out, would it help correct this? When I was trimming, I pulled clay out from between their toes. They had lived in a clay backyard at their old home. Their mohair was overgrown and would have prevented them from reaching their hooves to chew the clay out. Could clay getting lodged in between the toes and not being able to pull it out have caused this? Or genetic? I appreciate any thoughts. And do you think corrective trimming could help? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Splayed toes is genetic, but it can also be caused by improper trimming. You have the right idea of trimming the outside wall shorter than the inside wall on both toes, that should help bring them back together. You also need to look at the heels, often the inside of the heels will grow, forcing the toes away from each other. You can also trim this to give the toes room to come back together.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ptgoats45 - THANK YOU! I know right where your talking about with inside heel growth and have been trimming that down too. Gosh..thank you. I really wanted some reassurance that I was heading the right direction with this. I know the hooves wont be perfect but want to get them straightened out as much as I can. Thank you :)

NyGoatMom - Thank you :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts