The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Blanco can hardly walk and limping. I know he's over weight and that is problematic. I've tried a boot, it sweats causing problems. Tried duct tape. Thinking about a screw.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
Don't use a screw. He may need corrective trimming. More pictures of his hooves from different angles abd bottom would help us see what you are seeing.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The left side of the hoof is higher than the right side, longer in the tip and isn't level with the coronary band. The right side of the hoof is more worn down, possibly from carrying more of the weight on that side of the hoof. A series of corrective trimming to even the hooves out would help reduce the splaying. Please don't put a screw through the hoof.

·
TKC Farms
2,511 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back. I took pics and posted on here and they edited my pics with where and what to trim. I did as much as I could for 4 months of trimming (trim once a month) and after the 3rd month the hooves were looking like a goat again. Send in some pics of the bottom of hoof and they will direct you as where and what t trim. Trimming hooves is very important to a goat’s health. It can cause foot rot for one thing and goat could lose a foot. Send some pics please. If I can find old thread I’ll show you what I mean.

·
TKC Farms
2,511 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back. I took pics and posted on here and they edited my pics with where and what to trim. I did as much as I could for 4 months of trimming (trim once a month) and after the 3rd month the hooves were looking like a goat again. Send in some pics of the bottom of hoof and they will direct you as where and what t trim. Trimming hooves is very important to a goat’s health. It can cause foot rot for one thing and goat could lose a foot. Send some pics please. If I can find old thread I’ll show you what I mean.
I found it but can’t copy it. Go to Tom Colvin and search for hoof trimming. It really helped me as this goat was bought in this condition and I’m sure that’s why she was for sell.

Reactions: happybleats
1 - 6 of 6 Posts