The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a myotonic buck. He was born Jan 2012. When we brought him home we noticed two small "bumps" on the end of his scrotum. Is this normal? Will it stop him from having kids? Should I be worried? The breeder we bought him from said that he was going to keep him as a breeding buck for his herd, but he decided to sell him because he was going to use his dad instead. It seems like if it were a problem, the breeder would have told us about it. I'm just worried. Here are some pics...

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
It isn't something to be overly concerned about. Yes, he can still breed as fine and well as any other goat. His split is very minimal and less noticeable than some. The reasons that people stand against bucks with scrotal splits are 1) He will pass this trait down to at least some of his buck kids, and 2) His daughters may end up with much more of a medial than desired (not sure on this one exactly, but I have heard of it before).

We used a Boer buck with a scrotal split this year. It is less than 1 inch, so no DQs will be given. We are breeding for wethers anyway, so their jewels wont matter much ;)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts