The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I noticed my goat was limping. He did not appear to be in A lot of pain. We checked his hoof and trimmed it and his leg was a little swollen below the knee. We checked for a wound or a break but saw no real cause for swelling. As a precaution my husband gave him a shot of LA 2000 and we separated him from the herd so he could rest. This is what his leg looked like initially:

Everything I have read said that he should be getting better with rest and his leg appeared to be the same. We decided to wrap the leg. However now his hoof is really swollen and i'm guessing maybe the wrap was too tight but I am unsure. We are now trying to get a vet to our home but the nearest vet is around half an hour away and we are having trouble with scheduling. What do you all think this is? Is it just a sprain that we really messed up? Is there anything that we can do until we do get a vet out here? This is the after wrap picture.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
If you use a bucket make it ice water. Put the leg in at least 10 minutes. Then keep him tied, on a stand for another 5 minutes. Then let him walk as normal. You should see improvement after the 2nd icing. I usually do this 3xs a day for just 3 days.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
Could of hurt himself.

2 weeks or more depending severity.

Wrapping it too tight and not way above and way below the swelling, will cause swelling below the area.

If the goat is baring weight on it, is should get better with time and rest.

Giving some banamine for swelling and pain may help.

I do not see a reason for giving antibiotics for injury of being sprained.

Edema can be from a hard hit.
Swelling will go down with time.

Also edema can be caused by being on the knee's a lot, so the area begins to get water on the knee and pools. Which if that is the case, if it gets too big, will have to be drained. But you have to know what you are doing or you can introduce bacteria in there, which can cause worse issues.

Try to keep the goat calm, allow to walk on it some, but try not to allow the goat to run or go on long walks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Amber21 how is he now?
He's still having some trouble but seems to be improving.

What looked like edema is gone. I've been trying to ice it. He gave me an absolute fit about the bucket so I elected to make giant gel ice pack to wrap around his leg, and that is working better for us.

I think now that it's more than likely a bad sprain, we have not tried to rewrap since we did such a poor job before.

He is starting to put weight on it, but I'm still making him rest!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
AWESOME! Im glad hes improving! Its ok to rewrap. Just make sure you can put your fingers in the wrap. If you cant..its too tight. It should be tight with your finger inside the wrap. And wrapping is just for support. So its best to not leave it on for days. But take it off at night. Let him move a little without support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.