Spraying the weeds in fields ... ?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Julie, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    We have an acre of field fenced off for our pony, and it's FULL of weeds ... so full of weeds that the weeds hardly let any grass come up. We want to figure out what to do to get rid of the weeds so the grass can grow. We've burned the field once ... a few years ago. Now we're considering spraying it to kill the weeds. We don't know exactly WHAT to do, but we know we need to do something to get rid of all the weeds and get the grass to grow.

If we DO spray the feild ... we're not sure how long we have to keep our pony out of the feild, etc.

Anyone know anything about this ? We're clueless ... HELP ! lol
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    get goats......LOL :shrug: :greengrin:

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well ... I can't contain the goats in the field ... it's just electric wire fence and I've already tried them in it and they go straight through. Besides, they'd have to be in there full time to keep the weeds down, but I'm afraid of putting them in with my pony because of when the pony gets running .. I'm worried the goats would get stampled on.
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You would be surprised how fast goats move when a horse is coming at them. I had goats giving birth out with the horses AND a colt (not on purpose of course).

The only time I had a problem with the horses and goats was during a thunderstorm the colt spooked.
  5. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I would LOVE to put the goats out in the field ... but I know they won't stay in my fence. And to buy fence that WOULD contain them ... we would have atleast $600 in it. So that's not an option right now.

So are there any other options for taking care of the weeds ?
  6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well aside from goats the only other thing is to either kill it all and till it up and plant new seeds or just use a weed killer and then rent a tool that drills new grass seed in. Either way your pony will need to stay off of it till the new grass grows in good. The reason you likly have alot of weeds is the pony eats the grass down so the weeds take over. The best way to keep the grass growing and the weeds down is to re fence and let the goats in to eat the weeds while the pony eats the grass. Then you will have great balance in the field.
  7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Could you not use that electric temp fence and move it around as needed? This would be cheaper and contain the goats at the same time. It could double as a kidding pen or containment pen when the time came. I have seen this type of fence at Lowe's and HomeDepot. Depending on the size you may need more than 1 fence.
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you train the goats to the fence itself, they 'll learn very fast that it "bites". If I can get an 8, 6, 4 year old goats as well as kids to stay inside electric, anyone can :greengrin: A DRY nylon leash on a goat and walk the perimeter, if they try to go through it, let them get zapped and pull them back, I have also tied bright orage surveyors tape to the second wire so they have a visual of the perimeter.

Anyhow, you can always run another strand of hotwire to the current fence, certainly cheaper and alot safer than chemicals in the pasture.