The Goat Spot Forum banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Haha well I still don't have any great pictures! I'm using a water trough as a brooder but I have this enormous 50-chick heat plate that takes up almost the ENTIRE thing. They're always scuttling around and they are so fast! I need to add shavings tonight so I'll try to snap better pictures then! The chicks have different patterns and while most are brown, there's one that's kind of reddish-gold and I'm really excited to see what colors they end up turning! I'll have to grab one of my silkie chicks for size comparison next time!

1110344E-1FE3-4C2E-8933-BF4948119991.jpeg

·
Registered
635 Posts
No that is probably a great idea. At least at 2 weeks old the babies are not tiny little things with moms 500 times their size fighting over the top of them while they stand there confused lol they can at least run from it.
So far the two moms have their babies still. The other 3 will try to start stuff but they have calmed down too and the poults stay with their two moms now.
I found on little one wondering around. I’m not sure which hen it came from since I am not brave enough to look under them lol but have him in my tote in the house.
Incubating is not going great with the new incubator. I had 4 hatch great and 3 that were wet and turned crusty hard. I guess the humidity was too high. Not sure how the same amount is so different from the little one to the big one, but seems to be. Gave them a bath in warm water and put back in the incubator and they are fluffing up very nicely. I’m pretty sure the rest of the eggs are dead though but will candle them tomorrow.
Soooooo where is our quail pictures?! I’ve been waiting to see those cute little suckers!
Well I guess my idea might work then, though I might wait until they are 3 or 4 weeks old to be safe. Glad you picked up the little straggler. There’s always one, right? Thank you for all your helpful information! It makes me feel like maybe I can do this. Maybe. Lol.

Sorry about the incubator. You’d think percentage of humidity is what it is and wouldn’t be affected by the size of the incubator. That’s frustrating. You’ll have to let us know after you candle if you have any good surprises.

Haha well I still don't have any great pictures! I'm using a water trough as a brooder but I have this enormous 50-chick heat plate that takes up almost the ENTIRE thing. They're always scuttling around and they are so fast! I need to add shavings tonight so I'll try to snap better pictures then! The chicks have different patterns and while most are brown, there's one that's kind of reddish-gold and I'm really excited to see what colors they end up turning! I'll have to grab one of my silkie chicks for size comparison next time!

View attachment 209101
It’s so tiny! Oh my gosh, that’s the cutest thing. I definitely want more pictures!

·
Registered
635 Posts
We did some bird moving today. The chicks are now in an addition we built on to the original coop. They have a little of the pen fenced off for them to scratch around in the dirt as well. They won’t get free range privileges for a long while.

Between the two sides of the coop (old side/new side) we made a retractable hardware cloth/lumber divider so the bigs and littles can see each other but not get to each other. Later, we can slide it out a bit if we want the littles to be able to go back and forth (while blocking the bigs) but that’s down the road. Even later, we can take it out and have one big coop. The bigs didn’t care much about the littles, except one. When she saw a chick, she squawked and ran away hollering like it was a coyote. And she’s the boss hen. It was funny.

Here’s the chicks new place.
IMG_1622850427.490380.jpg

The turkey poults got an upgrade as well. We took out the pen wall and let them have the entire pen. We made some more roosts for them, which they love. They hadn’t discovered it yet when I took the pic. And the heat lamps weren’t set yet, but they have two heat lamps in there now (that they rarely use).
IMG_1622850660.274591.jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is it normal for the adult chickens to be either offended by or afraid of the new baby chicks? Two of my three hens sleep in the nesting boxes, hiding from the littles, and one sleeps on a roost as far away as she can get from the divider. The littles sleep on a roost right by the divider and don’t seem at all bothered. Is this normal?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have 3 quail. 2 i think are female and 1 I think is male. They are around 6 or 7 weeks old. The 2 females have split the top of their heads open im assuming on the roof of the cage. The skin is slid back from the forehead to the back of the neck. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not going to get anymore quail if they are going to hurt themselves like this. The cage is probably a foot tall. Maybe a foot and a half. I don't think there's anything I can do for them other then wait it out. It seems to have started to scab over.

On a happier note, the chicks are due to hatch today and one is on its way out! So excited to see how many we get.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Is it normal for the adult chickens to be either offended by or afraid of the new baby chicks? Two of my three hens sleep in the nesting boxes, hiding from the littles, and one sleeps on a roost as far away as she can get from the divider. The littles sleep on a roost right by the divider and don’t seem at all bothered. Is this normal?
I understand some hens are more broody than others. These hens want to hatch eggs and will claim a nest box of various hen eggs as their own for the sole purpose of hatching them. Some of them don't appreciate having the eggs gathered either and might hiss or fluff up at you. Now, most hens, especially the broody ones, with chicks are a force to be reckoned with if they think something is a threat to those chicks. Maybe hens are hardwired to leave chicks belonging to another hen alone for risk being flogged. This is such an interesting question.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have 3 quail. 2 i think are female and 1 I think is male. They are around 6 or 7 weeks old. The 2 females have split the top of their heads open im assuming on the roof of the cage. The skin is slid back from the forehead to the back of the neck. I'm not sure what to do. I'm not going to get anymore quail if they are going to hurt themselves like this. The cage is probably a foot tall. Maybe a foot and a half. I don't think there's anything I can do for them other then wait it out. It seems to have started to scab over.

On a happier note, the chicks are due to hatch today and one is on its way out! So excited to see how many we get.

Oh no. Is it split as in needing to be reconnected? If so, I’d use tiny bandaids or something. If not, I’d spray it with something like Vetericyn a few times a day to keep it clean while it heals. Then I’d figure out what cut their heads and cover it. Maybe a bigger cage? I have never raised quail, so I’m not sure.

I hope the hatching goes well!

I understand some hens are more broody than others. These hens want to hatch eggs and will claim a nest box of various hen eggs as their own for the sole purpose of hatching them. Some of them don't appreciate having the eggs gathered either and might hiss or fluff up at you. Now, most hens, especially the broody ones, with chicks are a force to be reckoned with if they think something is a threat to those chicks. Maybe hens are hardwired to leave chicks belonging to another hen alone for risk being flogged. This is such an interesting question.
I never even considered that. None of my adults are broody. They lay an egg in one of the nest boxes then walk away from it almost immediately. Makes it easy to collect. So I wonder if there is hard-wiring in their little brains that make them think these belong to a mama hen who would fight to protect them. What an interesting perspective on what I thought was really weird behavior.

·
Registered
584 Posts
At what point should I help a hatching chick? It looks the same as it did this morning. I can see the head and stomach its still alive. Out of the 10 eggs this is the only one hatching. I'm assuming I should give the others a couple days

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
You can see the head out of the shell? If so it can breath so I would give it 24 hours from when it pipped before helping. I think this is the hardest call to make but so far that time line hasn’t been wrong. If you end up helping it pick the shell and the outer membrane off, watch the inner membrane. If you see any veins stop! Put it back in the incubator with a damp paper towel over it. I personally never mess with that inner membrane. I’ll pick the outside off to where they can hatch and let them get out of that inner on their own.
Yes give the other eggs a few days or if you want to take them out and candle them. If the egg is solid in there, no air sack it’s sometimes hard to tell if they are still alive or not but if you listen you can hear them scratching or chirping.
Fizzy goat I wonder if they think maybe they have a angry mama around some place. My chickens are jerks and if the chicks come near them they peck them. If they are away from them doing their own thing they just ignore them for the most part. Either way that is so weird!
I had a Turkey that had a bloody spot on her head years back. The other turkey would peck at it so I put her in a rabbit cage. That stupid thing was so upset and would pace back and forth dragging it’s head along and she did the same thing. I put a little flour on it and left it be. I’m not sure if quail are like chicks and turkeys and will peck at wounds but watch for that. If they do they say if you use a red lamp they can’t see the red from wounds. I’m sorry I don’t know much about quail :(

·
Registered
556 Posts

Are you sure it's from the cage? Mine get bald heads like that from picking at each other. They're snarky little things. Everything will be fine and then two will start fighting and I'll end up with a bald one and have to separate. Over breeding can have the same thing. I have one pen that has 1 roo and 4 hens and they still get bare spots sometimes. I want to make quail tractors so I can separate more of them out and give them more room and hopefully let them hunt earwigs instead of picking at each other!

In other news, all 8 of my celadon quail are still alive, which is miraculous considering they keep emptying their water into their shavings so I'm not sure how they're staying hydrated. Ugh.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Are you sure it's from the cage? Mine get bald heads like that from picking at each other. They're snarky little things. Everything will be fine and then two will start fighting and I'll end up with a bald one and have to separate. Over breeding can have the same thing. I have one pen that has 1 roo and 4 hens and they still get bare spots sometimes. I want to make quail tractors so I can separate more of them out and give them more room and hopefully let them hunt earwigs instead of picking at each other!

In other news, all 8 of my celadon quail are still alive, which is miraculous considering they keep emptying their water into their shavings so I'm not sure how they're staying hydrated. Ugh.
Nope it's not bald. The skin is split from the forehead and slid down to the bottom of the neck. Exposing what I'm assuming to be the skull. Nasty looking, but they are acting normal and scabing over, so maybe they'll recover.

I'm glad that your quail are doing good! My chicks do that with their water too... frustrating. But they somehow are staying hydrated! I wonder what their secret is?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Our chicks continue to surprise us. A few flew on top of the coop and walked to the bigs side last night. We found one happily perched on top. One was on the ground in the bigs part of the pen and not moving much. Though all the bigs had put themselves inside for the night, we thought one had gotten to the chick and hurt it. But after careful examination, we found no injuries and figured she tried to fly off and either hit something or dropped more than flew and stunned herself. She is fine this morning. So we worked by headlamp to make it so they can’t fly on top of the coop.

My big chickens don’t seem as afraid of the littles. Actually, we had one little scratching right by their divider fence and a big went over and scratched too. Like they do with each other when they’re out free ranging during the day. It was kind of cute.

How long do I keep them completely separate? I know a timeline isn’t exact, but what should I watch for to let me know they are ready for some supervised time where they can actually be together? The chicks are still young. They’ll be 5 weeks on Wednesday.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
I would wait until they are at least half the size and you could put them together. That way if they do decide they don’t like the little ones there isn’t such a huge size difference. Your hens really don’t seem to hate them so you could probably even start supervised visits. One peck isn’t going to kill them it’s when they have a hair up their behind and really go at them that is a issue.
Kass how is the hatching going?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would wait until they are at least half the size and you could put them together. That way if they do decide they don’t like the little ones there isn’t such a huge size difference. Your hens really don’t seem to hate them so you could probably even start supervised visits. One peck isn’t going to kill them it’s when they have a hair up their behind and really go at them that is a issue.
The chick pipped a hole in the shell Sunday before I woke up. I let it be until probably 11 this morning. I helped it out of the shell... don't worry I didn't hurt it. It's been in the incubator but still isn't dry and still isn't walking right.
One other egg has a little crack, but none of the others are showing signs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
@Kass I hope you’re hatchling gets stronger and your others hatch out. Keep us updated.

Ok. Thanks! It’s funny to watch them interact through their little fence. The littles copy the bigs and sometimes the bigs copy the littles. I do worry about one chicken. She’s shown no aggression and no interest. But I just have a feeling she’d attack a little if it got in her way. I have one who I thought would be aggressive (my head hen), who now seems intrigued and likes to copy the littles. And one who looks like she wants to mama them. She’s the lowest in the pecking order but by far the most docile.

The littles figured out dust baths today. It was so cute to watch them scratch out their tiny holes in the dirt then wallow in them like a pig in mud. They were so happy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Ugh splay leg is a pain but a fairly easy fix. Get a bandaid and cut in half length wise, then wrap each end around each leg. Usually if you leave that little gauze part between the legs that is the perfect width between the legs and then toss him back in the incubator. He will look pathetic and be sprawled out and be unhappy but leave him be until either he gets the bandaid off or give it 24 hours and check to see if it helped. If your incubator is slick put some paper towels down so he can grip better. If you happen to have shelf liner that is even better.
Fuzzy goat it sounds like your chicks are quite happy with each other! That sounds so cute.
I finally got this dang cabinet figured out! Got 11 out of 12 eggs to hatch. No humidity issues no shrink wrap. The last one was taking a little too long to hatch for my liking but I just broke a little bit of the outer membrane and be flopped right out. He probably would have done it on his own but I would have rather not been mad at myself because he took to long and gave up.
On the hens one hen hatched out her poults and then just walked away. I gathered them up and took them and she had 4 eggs that were still alive. The trio are still nuts so I think I’m going to pen them up with the toms. When I was working on the hot fence for one of my fields I saw another group of 2 hens hatched their poults. A bunch of little heads sticking out. The first two still have all their babies. I can see why hens do not have good luck with their babies though. Those things do not stick to mom like chicks do their chicken moms. I have a few extra car ports that the goats really are not using any more so I think I will be turning those into turkey coops and avoid all this crazy next year. Or maybe not let them go broody at all.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ugh splay leg is a pain but a fairly easy fix. Get a bandaid and cut in half length wise, then wrap each end around each leg. Usually if you leave that little gauze part between the legs that is the perfect width between the legs and then toss him back in the incubator. He will look pathetic and be sprawled out and be unhappy but leave him be until either he gets the bandaid off or give it 24 hours and check to see if it helped. If your incubator is slick put some paper towels down so he can grip better. If you happen to have shelf liner that is even better.
Fuzzy goat it sounds like your chicks are quite happy with each other! That sounds so cute.
I finally got this dang cabinet figured out! Got 11 out of 12 eggs to hatch. No humidity issues no shrink wrap. The last one was taking a little too long to hatch for my liking but I just broke a little bit of the outer membrane and be flopped right out. He probably would have done it on his own but I would have rather not been mad at myself because he took to long and gave up.
On the hens one hen hatched out her poults and then just walked away. I gathered them up and took them and she had 4 eggs that were still alive. The trio are still nuts so I think I’m going to pen them up with the toms. When I was working on the hot fence for one of my fields I saw another group of 2 hens hatched their poults. A bunch of little heads sticking out. The first two still have all their babies. I can see why hens do not have good luck with their babies though. Those things do not stick to mom like chicks do their chicken moms. I have a few extra car ports that the goats really are not using any more so I think I will be turning those into turkey coops and avoid all this crazy next year. Or maybe not let them go broody at all.
Thank you! I will try that

·
Registered
635 Posts
Way to go on the incubator hatching! That is amazing.
Every time I read about your crazy turkeys, I rethink my future pen design a bit. Lol. So I’m not happy for your struggles, but I certainly am learning from them…not that I won’t have plenty of my own. Then you can chuckle at the newbie who tried to figure it all out and still had a fiasco on her hands.

Thank you! I will try that
Let us know how it goes!

181 - 200 of 231 Posts