The Goat Spot Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Lol don’t let me make you cringe when you think about next year. Honestly if I would have just let them all do their own thing it would probably be less of a headache but I don’t want to loose any of the little ones. I do think though that if they all sat in the same general area and could see each other every day it would be much easier. But I have nests all over this place and they forget their sisters are their sisters. The co-parents are great with each other. They share their babies so well and do not fight. It’s having them all meet again that seems to be the issue.

·
Registered
635 Posts
See, another good tip and another note taken by me. I keep saying I want to just let them raise the babies and let nature take its course but I know me. If I think I have the slimmest chance of saving one, I’ll go through a lot of work to do it. So I’ll need to have a brooder ready to go as well. And I’m wondering if I need to rethink my design of one long shed type shelter (with individual houses and fenced runs) to two shorter shelters that face each other so everyone sees everyone else.

·
Registered
584 Posts
First, the chick with the splayed leg didn't make it.
Second. No other eggs are hatching. Its day 24. I got rid of 3 that weren't fertilized, and 1 that had a chick that looked like it needed another week. I don't know if it had been dead or for how long. The rest of the eggs I think have something in them, but the shells are too dark to candle. How long should I give them?

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
635 Posts
I’m sorry, Kass. I don’t know anything about hatching so I’ll let someone else answer that part.

I think a snake killed one of my turkeys. They are 5 weeks old, so not tiny. I found one dead right by the door. I thought it drowned at first because its head and neck were soaked. But it wasn’t by the water, which is super shallow. I examined it and didn’t see a bite, doesn’t mean there wasn’t one. Then I noticed it was more gooey than wet with water. The head and neck were covered in the wet goo. I think the snake realized it was too big to eat at that point. I’m just so frustrated and upset. I feel like I just can’t protect these guys. We can’t even figure out how and where a snake could have gotten in and our camera didn’t catch it. And if can get to my turkeys, it can get to my goats. I just don’t know what to do. I’m almost in tears. I know that’s stupid but I am feeling guilty, sad, and extremely worried about the rest of the birds and the goats.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just tore the barn apart. Moved everything. Cleaned everything and found nothing. I still have no idea how a snake got in there or if it’s hiding somewhere that I somehow missed. The hay room, the milk room, the goats side of the barn and turkey side got a thorough searching. I was on my my hands and knees digging under hay pallets and looking behind storage bins. I’m now in need of the second shower I’ll take tonight, but no closer to figuring out what happened and how to keep it from happening again. I know this is part of owning animals. But it is the sucky part. Any one have any tips to keep snakes away?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh wow, just popping back into this thread. Sorry you guys are all having bad luck :(

My broody hen has gotten negligent and there are eggs spilling out of her nest and getting chilled, so I'm sure hatch rate will be terrible. Also she hatched a chick a couple days ago but I have marked that they shouldn't start hatching until the middle of next week, argh!

As for the quail, they have some feathers now and can sort of fly out of their brooder and go explore and I don't have anything else to contain the little monsters! They continue to spill their water and throw their food everywhere.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You need to show your broody hen the calendar. How rude she’s not sticking with the schedule. I don’t know how you keep track of it all. Hopefully more eggs than you think will hatch.

Sounds like the quail are doing well. Even if they are monsters.

@Kass, I’m sorry about the eggs. That’s depressing.

I still haven’t seen any sign of a snake and still can’t explain the death of the turkey poult any other way. And these guys aren’t little anymore. That scares me more because I feel like it had to be venomous to incapacitate it. And if it can get to the turkey part, it can get to my baby Nigerian dwarf goats too. I’m so nervous now.

I did not realize what good fliers young turkeys would be. I’m going to be adding some higher roosts for them tomorrow. When I was standing there debating where to put it, one flew on to my shoulder. I promptly got it on my hand and put it on the roost. But that’s only about three feet high. And even though it’s cute when they fly onto my shoulder or head now at 5 weeks old, it won’t be when they’re 20 lbs and beating me with their wings and clawing me with their talons. Im trying to break them of the habit.

For those with turkeys, how high do you put their roosts? I’ll have varying heights, but would love to know what works for others.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Fizzy goat I’m not sure what else would make it slobbery but not eat it, unless possibly when it died it leaked fluid and got sticky wet that way. I can’t say I have ever seen a bird do that before, but I really don’t know for sure.
Supposedly moth balls will keep snakes away. I have heard people say that but I don’t know for a fact. You would think that sucker would be some place close though unless he realized it’s not worth it there and moved on.
Kass I’m sorry about the eggs. It’s very hard to get them all to hatch. I always though that people who claim they get 100% hatch are talking about all the eggs they place in the incubator but that is not the case at all, they are talking about at lock down so although it’s very sad it’s super normal.
I have my roosts about 3’ high when they get locked up. Right now they are all free and the ones that don’t have babies sleep on their dog kennel which is 6’ high. I looked on cackle what they recommend since I never really thought about how high it SHOULD be and they recommend 2’+ so I would say 3’ is perfect.
You know the flying on me thing I thought the same thing with mine but once they got bigger they just stopped trying to fly on me. Although even small their claws still hurt!
And Cali star you jinked me! Today is hatch day for me but last night I peeked threw the glass to see if anyone started and there was a poult. No broken egg in there! I looked on the shelf’s and I’m not sure if I wrote the wrong day down or if it hatched super early (it had to be the wrong day!) but there was a egg shell on the shelf. But I can say the little one came down just fine to the bottom lol honestly what probably happened was he went from layer to layer instead of a total drop.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have my roosts about 3’ high when they get locked up. Right now they are all free and the ones that don’t have babies sleep on their dog kennel which is 6’ high. I looked on cackle what they recommend since I never really thought about how high it SHOULD be and they recommend 2’+ so I would say 3’ is perfect.
You know the flying on me thing I thought the same thing with mine but once they got bigger they just stopped trying to fly on me. Although even small their claws still hurt!
Yes, I am covered in scratches all over from their claws. I hope they naturally stop flying on top of me.
I think I’ll give them one more higher roost option, between 5-6 feet high. I may take it down when they get bigger.

And Cali star you jinked me! Today is hatch day for me but last night I peeked threw the glass to see if anyone started and there was a poult. No broken egg in there! I looked on the shelf’s and I’m not sure if I wrote the wrong day down or if it hatched super early (it had to be the wrong day!) but there was a egg shell on the shelf. But I can say the little one came down just fine to the bottom lol honestly what probably happened was he went from layer to layer instead of a total drop.
Oops. That little one already went on its first adventure. Glad he’s ok.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Fizzy goat I’m not sure what else would make it slobbery but not eat it, unless possibly when it died it leaked fluid and got sticky wet that way. I can’t say I have ever seen a bird do that before, but I really don’t know for sure.
Supposedly moth balls will keep snakes away. I have heard people say that but I don’t know for a fact. You would think that sucker would be some place close though unless he realized it’s not worth it there and moved on.
Kass I’m sorry about the eggs. It’s very hard to get them all to hatch. I always though that people who claim they get 100% hatch are talking about all the eggs they place in the incubator but that is not the case at all, they are talking about at lock down so although it’s very sad it’s super normal.
Haha, I knew there had to be some situation in which it was possible! Glad to hear that she's no worse for the wear though!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
Lol when I was replying I was like NO! There is NO possible way! Lol I should have kept my mouth shut :p but I think what I did was when I was moving the eggs from the little incubator to the big one I wrote 5/17 instead of 5/14. But now let me tell ya when I get things on track for next year I’ll only set them once and week and for sure that won’t happen lmbo!
Today was a busy day, we are in the middle of moving cows and this evening I came up to get my extra trough for the cows and my all time favorite turkey hen Snoodless had a baby with her. I was too late on the rest of her eggs. I’m not sure if any of them would have been alive if I did get out there when she got off though. But of course I had to take 5 and sit with her and tell her what a good girl she was and how much I have missed her. She is honestly the COOLEST turkey ever and loves to sit with me and be cuddled.
And my sister came over today and informed me my ducks are a boy and girl. All I wanted was the same sex and they couldn’t even do that lol and of course the black one that lays black eggs is the boy.....BOOOO!!
Also she is the poultry leader for 4H and they are planning on having a educational fun raiser next year by hatching eggs and then selling the chicks and I told her they are more then welcome to use my incubator. But I thought that was such a good idea.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well I’m glad Snoodels has one baby at least and you get to hang out with her again. Maybe her little one will inherit her sweet disposition.

So I have to ask, when you say you were too late on the rest of the eggs after Snoodles got off the nest, do they get off after one hatches? And if so, what do you do to help them hatch the rest?

And you’ll be getting no black eggs from that boy duck, lol. That is a bummer though. I love your sister’s 4H fundraiser idea and it’s nice for you to offer your incubator. That’ll make it a lot easier for them, I’m sure.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I sure hope it’s a sweet poult! So far none of the ones I have hatched or the hens have hatched are overly sweet. Kinda wired since the parents are all super easy going. Not snoodless sweet but fairly easy to get my hands on and follow me every place. We will see how they do when they start going out and about when they are older. It’s the Narragansett and Royal palm that I got in the surprise box that are total sweet hearts.
No the hens will stay on their eggs for a few days after hatching a few. The trio I actually had to kick them off. But the issue is since they all co-laid I still had some hens laying in each nest when the other hen started being broody. So there’s eggs at different stages. So I just gather the eggs, check to make sure they are still alive and put them in the little incubator to give them a chance. A lot of them don’t end up hatching anyways but I have saved a few.
Nope for sure no black eggs lol my son was trying to tell me that if we get ducklings though out of them maybe they would lay black eggs and I told him we were NOT letting any duck eggs hatch. These guys haven’t even come out of the kennel yet and I’m still not convinced they won’t be just as terrible as the last ducks we had lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
If it's any consolation, my flock of ducks used to be all Cayugas (black egg layers) but they didn't actually lay black eggs, theirs just kind of had a gray tinge and always looked dirty and mud stained. So you may not actually be missing out 😆

I got some window screen for over the quail brooder and it has stopped the escapes for now. It's actually really satisfying to see them all fly up when I approach, just to bonk their stupid little heads on the window screen. (I know it's mean, but I've been chasing escapees all over the spare room for the last few days so I think I'm allowed my bit of schadenfreude 😋)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
That does make me feel better lol although I don’t know why I care to be honest. I just thought it would be cool to say I had black eggs I guess. I don’t really care about the green, blue or super dark eggs but the black seemed cool. Cant explain it.
No I get it! I’ve been in the process of making a drift fence between two pastures so the bucks can’t get excited when the other one has a lady in heat and they don’t. I had to take the hot fence down but of course that means the bad girls know and found a few weak spots that they have been getting out and being bad and driving me nuts! I finally got it all done and plugged the hot fence back in and the one doeling got nailed. Mean or not I laughed at her. I think we deserve it after chasing them around and getting our blood pressure high :p

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree. When animals have caused you to chase them, corral them, and caused you hours of frustration, it’s absolutely fine to laugh when your fix stops them…even if some would think you’re mean.
I sure hope it’s a sweet poult! So far none of the ones I have hatched or the hens have hatched are overly sweet. Kinda wired since the parents are all super easy going. Not snoodless sweet but fairly easy to get my hands on and follow me every place. We will see how they do when they start going out and about when they are older. It’s the Narragansett and Royal palm that I got in the surprise box that are total sweet hearts.
No the hens will stay on their eggs for a few days after hatching a few. The trio I actually had to kick them off. But the issue is since they all co-laid I still had some hens laying in each nest when the other hen started being broody. So there’s eggs at different stages. So I just gather the eggs, check to make sure they are still alive and put them in the little incubator to give them a chance. A lot of them don’t end up hatching anyways but I have saved a few.
Nope for sure no black eggs lol my son was trying to tell me that if we get ducklings though out of them maybe they would lay black eggs and I told him we were NOT letting any duck eggs hatch. These guys haven’t even come out of the kennel yet and I’m still not convinced they won’t be just as terrible as the last ducks we had lol
Well one thing is for sure, I don’t want ducks. I love ducks. I think they’re super cute but I decided on chickens and turkeys a while ago and just can’t fathom how I’d incorporate in ducks as well. And thanks for explaining the hatch process. I’m going to be lost when the time comes.

It was hot today so we gave the turkeys their first day (half day actually) in their outside pen. It’s covered in aerial netting, so they are fairly safe. Of course my goat Petunia is always trying to make new friends.
IMG_1623537228.418256.jpg

We’re thinking of seeing how they’ll do without the heat lamp in the barn tonight. The low is supposed to be about 73 degrees F.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
They should be ok without a light. We just had a high of 77 and the chicks and poults a little older then yours have gone without a lamp for a few weeks now. And these little guys choose not to have their lamp lol I thought you would appreciate this with me LMBO! I’m thinking though maybe don’t put the roosts 6’ high just yet. Although my adults do NOT sleep like this!
IMG_1623558918.770936.jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
🤣 Turkeys are such characters. I love that pic.

And I only went to about 4.5- 5 feet high on the roost (didn’t really measure but I’m short and I put it up). This has done what I hoped, which is keep them off the heat lamp holder and off the cord we have zip tied along the wall for the heat lamp. And I got lucky, I just picked a random branch from trees we had to clean up the other day, and it worked out perfectly as the roost. They all fit on it easily and now all of them sleep there together.

They did just fine without the heat lamp, just as you predicted. They will get more time in the attached pen today while I’m outside to supervise. Even though they are fenced in and covered with aerial netting over the top and down the sides past the fence, I’m still worried about them being left out there without someone watching them or at least very nearby.

They were so fun to watch yesterday and so different than when the chicks first experienced freedom. The chicks first time outside (well in an enclosed run anyway…that’s as free as those littles need to be right now) they dashed around, jumped on everything and just took over the space. The turkeys were so different. It took forever for one to even come out the open door. Then it took each step slowly and cautiously. After a while, another would do the same, and one by one they came outside this way. The first 15 minutes or so was just a very methodical, very gradual inspection of their strange new world. Once they were comfortable, then they went nuts. Flying, bouncing, dust bathing (sort of, they’re not great at it yet) and just being silly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Oh gosh I remember the first time I opened the gate to let the turkeys out and that is exactly what happened. Just it opened up to the whole world and they started flying over fences and me and the kids just stood there like oh crap! We are never getting them back in. But they knew where their beds were lol
This morning was funny, kinda, well now looking back it’s funny. I was giving all the goats their pneumonia vaccine and copper. I heard the turkeys make their “danger/ I’m not happy” sound. First thing that went threw my mind was a snake. So I book it and go WAY this way and WAY that way to get to them. Yeah it was a adult and a baby smack talking each other threw the fence! I told the one to grow up your a adult now and told the baby your a kid she will kill you stupid, and went back to my long chore of vaccines and copper.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts