The Goat Spot Forum banner
601 - 620 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Lol. I bet. They love you. They will probably always want to be with mom.

My birds, on the other hand, have been escaping. Not my chickens. They are good girls. But my turkey hens have been getting out regularly. They always fly over the fence by the road. Once today three hens stopped a couple enjoying a bicycle ride. That was the first time I noticed them on the road. The couple was very sweet and helped me toss them back over the fence. Twenty minutes later, two hens are out again. I go toss them back in. A few minutes after that, two dogs came trotting by, thank goodness the turkeys were in. Another few minutes pass as I’m watching videos on how to clip wings and all five hens fly over the fence. My toms don’t or can’t. I caught them all (husband is working from home and I asked him to come help even though he’s busy). We coaxed them back to their pen using watermelon and clipped the right wing on all the hens. First time ever. It was really easy though. We also put bright leg bands on each turkey, just so if they do get out, people know their domestic and don’t try to hunt them. I mean the red color should give it away, but who knows.

So my turkey hens now have their wings clipped. It’s a little sad, but not as sad as if they got hit by a car or attacked by a dog.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
Fizzy goat they will still be able to fly to a degree just not as high with the wings clipped. They will be ok. This should get them to stop their habit of flying over and hopefully after they molt and get their new feathers they won’t be so fascinated with the road.
My turkeys I have decided to see what all the fuss is about heritage turkeys on the table. I only ended up with 4 toms. I’m keeping one, someone called me wanting a tom and hen for her son so that leaves me with thanksgiving and maybe Christmas dinner. So after I make it to the feed store to get some broiler feed I’ll be feeding those two out. I guess if I dislike it then I can just sell the second. So we will see how that all goes.
I have all my hens locked up and am proud to say I get between 3-5 eggs a day……….out of 61 hens lol

601 - 620 of 660 Posts