The Goat Spot Forum banner
621 - 640 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That’s my hope, that they just break the very bad habit of flying over that fence. If they fly over the other stretches, it’s not a big deal as they’re still on our land and all they do is try to figure out how to get back in. They just have a new fascination with the road. Thank goodness it’s not a busy one.

I was looking forward to a few turkey dinners but we may be keeping all three toms if they stay getting along for the most part (they do have their days where they fight at times and it is very annoying and persistent). Until we can sort of figure out who is good breeding stock, we’re hesitant to make the choice. But I already know I like turkey, so I am looking forward to the meat one of these days. Right now, we just butchered a steer and don’t have room in the freezer for any of the birds anyway.

That’s a lot of hens and a little amount of eggs. Lol. It’s better than nothing though, right?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a question for all you chicken folks... is a 10 by 5 dog kennel big enough for 15 chickens? Or is that too crowded?
Edit: there are 2 ladders in it for them to roost and they would have 4 laying buckets...

·
Registered
208 Posts
On a chicken forum that I am on, it is generally recommended to have at least 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. Others may have different opinions and people can get by with less I suppose, esp if they have bantams or if their birds spend a lot of time free ranging. I know when i start to max out my coop, I have to muck it out much more frequently, which is usually a good reminder to thin the flock.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
On a chicken forum that I am on, it is generally recommended to have at least 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. Others may have different opinions and people can get by with less I suppose, esp if they have bantams or if their birds spend a lot of time free ranging. I know when i start to max out my coop, I have to muck it out much more frequently, which is usually a good reminder to thin the flock.
I usually let them free roam but they are such a mess... I'm tired off my hands landing in chicken poo lol and we lock them up in the winter... I wanted the other dog kennel for a birthing area for the goats. But if that's not possible I guess I'll use it for the chickens!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I usually let them free roam but they are such a mess... I'm tired off my hands landing in chicken poo lol and we lock them up in the winter... I wanted the other dog kennel for a birthing area for the goats. But if that's not possible I guess I'll use it for the chickens!
I don't free range either, although I would like to. I don't trust my dogs and we have a ton of hawks. The chickens have a chain link run about 20x 60 ft with bird netting over the top for the hawks. Dog kennels come in handy for so many things. I would like to get one or two to make "stalls" for the goats in our big old barn.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah we have 2 and they work great for the chickens. I think any more ant it would be too crowded for them, but I'm going to try and make it work so I have that extra "stall" for the goats. Then we'd have 3 areas for the goats... one for a single goat and kids if needed.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
I have a question for all you chicken folks... is a 10 by 5 dog kennel big enough for 15 chickens? Or is that too crowded?
Edit: there are 2 ladders in it for them to roost and they would have 4 laying buckets...
IMHO, that would be way to crowded. I can't even imagine 15 birds in our 10x10 dog kennel! Overcrowding chickens (or any animal) can cause many problems, take pecking each other to death for an example. Sorry, but I just couldn't/wouldn't do that. I also would imagine that the pen would be really muddy in just a few weeks. My rule of thumb for housing animals is, if they grass can't grow then too many animals in that amount of space. Just remember though, they are YOUR birds so you get to decide where and how you want to house them. But MY opinion is that's too crowded.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
Online, it looks like the MINIMUM square feet per bird is 15. So if you have 15 chickens then you should at LEAST have 225 square feet total. So a 15 foot by 15 foot pen. Since some of yours are bantams, then I suppose you could get away with a little less room. But just know, a 10 by 5 dog kennel is only 50 square feet, so that's not even a fourth of the minimum requirement. 😉

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have an enclosure that’s 8x14 for 6 chickens and they free range most the day. I feel like that space is too small for my 6 chickens and would make it much bigger if they weren’t out running around all day. Is there a way to use an existing structure/fence as a side so you could make the kennel panels go farther?

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Ok. So here is the secret of chickens.
1. They hate being alone and are flpck animals
2. Free range good during day light hours
3. At night their mentality is safety in numbers and as close as possible.
4. As long as they are your birds its your decision how how kennel at night.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I should clarify our garage has turned into the "barn" so there's not cars in it anymore... it has 2 goat "stalls" that are pretty big and 2 big dog kennels... plus room for straw and hay... it's a big garage.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This is the back end, you can kinda see what I'm talking about... the camera is on the larger dog kennel so that's not visible, sorry it's a mess right now!
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Water Vehicle door

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
So are you wanting to put the chickens in the kennel full time or just for the night? Because just for the night would be fine. If you are wanting to keep them up all the time, I’d use a wall or something as one side and make the panels work to cover more distance. And maybe consider a chicken tractor or some space where they can run around outside during the day without going where you don’t want them.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
Mine free range all day. I live on 20 acres. But at night, they are in a 12x12 ft coop. I put plastic shelves in there, with nesting boxes. I think for night, its fine. They can have close quarters in really bad weather, or get out in the weather. Theres plenty of goat barns, houses to get in. Lol

621 - 640 of 660 Posts