The Goat Spot Forum banner
641 - 660 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Are my chickens weird because they don’t seem to mind cold days as long as it’s not raining and cold? We don’t get as cold here as some places, but there were plenty of days my chickens would be running around in below freezing weather over the winter, just having fun and getting some exercise I guess. They huddle up in the coop to keep warm at night and on really bad weather days but most winter days (again, milder here than most places) they wander wherever, even in the snow. Their coop and run are always accessible to them and until I lock them up for the night, it’s up to them if they’re in or out. I was shocked how much they chose “out” over the winter. I wonder if my turkeys will be similar. I wonder what my goats will choose. This could be an interesting winter for me.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Are my chickens weird because they don’t seem to mind cold days as long as it’s not raining and cold? We don’t get as cold here as some places, but there were plenty of days my chickens would be running around in below freezing weather over the winter, just having fun and getting some exercise I guess. They huddle up in the coop to keep warm at night and on really bad weather days but most winter days (again, milder here than most places) they wander wherever, even in the snow. Their coop and run are always accessible to them and until I lock them up for the night, it’s up to them if they’re in or out. I was shocked how much they chose “out” over the winter. I wonder if my turkeys will be similar. I wonder what my goats will choose. This could be an interesting winter for me.
Their probably not weird, I am though lol just don't want them out in the cold

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
Well I am taking most of my chickens and a lot of my turkeys to the sale. I can’t let them loose because of the coyotes and it’s not fare to them to keep them fairly crowded locked up all day every day. My husband has been trying to rectify the issue but so far has only gotten 1. I thought she was the issue since she was fat and sassy but yesterday I looked out in the goat pasture and found feathers so I’m thinking not the issue. I just don’t have the money right now to buy or build more cages so I’ll save on feed and try it again next year. I’m going to keep all my original turkeys since they stay close to home and really don’t leave the “safe” area and I’ll keep all the cochins and a few of the favorite chicks. It’s sad but it is what it is

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How frustrating. I’m sorry you’re pushed into this situation by both circumstance and misguided/idiotic neighbors feeding predators. I hope you at least get good money for all the ones you’re selling.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My toms get in a mood and sometimes chase my goats. Usually, they chase Petunia (I think because she tends to run and my runt, Jasmine, ignores them and my other one, Thistles, will often turn and headbutt them). Here’s sort of a funny thing, I guess I make a particular sound when I’m correcting an animal (made the same sound with my children, so they say) and now my toms know it and will back off, at least momentarily when they hear it. I guess even turkeys can learn. At least the toms. The hens totally ignore me.

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
Awwww look at their beards! When they stop staying in a total puffed up state you will see the beard more. Mine finally stopped and I was shocked at how long theirs are (from last year!)
So long story short I took 4 toms down to the sale, planned on more but did you know they start moving around before the sun comes up! I didn’t want any chicken hens smashed on the way down, and not for $2 each so only the toms. I got $125 a Tom! They were not even that big! So that was pretty awesome and made my day.
And Of course the one batch of turkeys are still not staying home. I was hoping with some of their friends gone they would. Anyways so I see them out in the field and then were all making the danger noise. So sent My son in to get a gun thinking it’s a coyote. They all start racing home and here comes 7 wild turkeys. It’s a crap picture but here they are facing off. (Don’t mind the hay strings on the fence that was a 4am I hate coyotes scab job I haven’t fixed just yet) but here they are discussing whatever they were discussing. They then started to part ways but a few hens tried to go with the wild toms. At $125 that was not going to happen lol so I called the hens and they came back and the wild turkeys got sent on their way. I explained to them they can stay here and no one will hunt them until they try to Jack my hens it was kinda cool though because I think it’s turkey season and they still came right in.
Plant Shade Tree Land lot Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
That’s so crazy! It’s a private flock party and the wilds weren’t invited. I’m worried about that with mine too. We have a lot of wild turkey around here. I’m also worried some idiot will try to shoot one of my turkeys.

What a great price for your toms! I don’t think I’d get near that around here.

When my boys aren’t all poofed out, their beards are longer than they look in the picture. They sure have been puffing up a lot lately. I also notice the three toms will hang out separate from the five hens sometimes. They roost together and sometimes wander around and explore and eat together, but if they split up, it’s usually toms in one group and hens in another.

I still have a few hens jump the fence every once in a while. I had two loose dogs hanging out at my front fence line today, so I’m glad the turkeys decided to stay inside the fence for the day. Small miracles.

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
Did you clip just one wing or both? I have always been told to just clip one wing BUT just saw a video of someone who does both because she says when she did one they kept flying out.
My boys do the same. I honestly was worried if they were really doing their job or not. If I didn’t hatch the eggs I would still be wondering. The boys are ALWAYS at the back yard. They never go very far (my original boys not these run away dorks) and the hens are always a little ways out. I guess the girls have to come to the boys lol I really have no idea!
There’s a hen posted about all the time here where I live about the “albino” wild turkey. It’s a royal palm lol but someone lost their hen to them that’s for sure! I’m sure it will happen here, I’m joking about hunting the wild turkeys I enjoy them. But I’m definitely not going to let it happen willingly lol

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I clipped one because like you, I heard that was best. I guess I may have to do both. My boys stay close too. My oblivious little turkey hens try to sit on the top of the fence. Then they end up on the other side and somehow can’t figure out how to get back. I’m always thinking, You’ve gone over enough times to know how this works! Just do it in the opposite direction. Gah, birds. But I do enjoy them. They are a great alarm system. I didn’t expect them to be as good as they are.

And my hens are a bit oblivious sometimes. The toms always follow me into the pen in the evening and a few hens too, the rest of the hens meander and are uninterested in me and my bribery food. I don’t want one of them to be the rare red wild turkey, a fate similar to that poor little albino one. 🤣

I somehow get everyone closed in for the night, but accomplishing that with chickens, turkeys, and goats all going in every direction and trying to sneak into pens that aren’t theirs, is fairly comical (not for me, but for an observer, just ask my husband).

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,923 Posts
@FizzyGoats ..beautiful pictures of your Turkeys. Love those bright colors. Zexy boys. Lol🤣🤣
@Jessica84. You got that for your Toms! Awesome price! Love the picture of the Turkey face off!!😁🤣

641 - 660 of 660 Posts