The Goat Spot Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1154 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have learned so much from all of you. I would have gone even crazier than I have been if you all here hadn’t talked me down a few times, especially [mention]Jessica84 [/mention]

My little poults learned the joys of dust bathing today. Why they (and the hens) have to do it right next to the fence is still unclear to me.
Wood Trunk Terrestrial animal Soil Tree

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Ours are happy that we let them roam the large cage during the day. They are fully fledged but with this cold snap we are putting them in at night with the heat lamp.
My husband cleaned out the dog crate. When he dug up the straw there was like a million earwigs!! They went nuts. Absolutely wiped them out.
Wish we could let them free range as we have a bad earwig problem this year.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ours are happy that we let them roam the large cage during the day. They are fully fledged but with this cold snap we are putting them in at night with the heat lamp.
My husband cleaned out the dog crate. When he dug up the straw there was like a million earwigs!! They went nuts. Absolutely wiped them out.
Wish we could let them free range as we have a bad earwig problem this year.
I can’t stand ear wigs. They really gross me out 😑

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Loving all the cute pictures! I almost bought turkey poults yesterday, as I found them at a good price. But we would have had to redo the chicken house door so they could fit through, and Dad, the resident remodeler, didn't think he would get to it in time.
My chicks are growing and doing well! I have them in a stock tank, since they could get out of the grow out cage, so it's hard to get photos.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A coyote had found one of my mamas nests out in the horse pasture. He came back a couple days in a row and ate all the eggs. I think he may have gotten some of my hens too… the ducks were all staying inside the yard a lot more instead of going out to play in the creek so I think they had a scare.
But if all my remaining hens have as much success as this one did, I’ll be overrun with little babies soon 😂💕🍀

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thank you- I love when they are so little and fluffy. Mama is definitely protective and hissed at me while I was taking the pic. Lol
@Jessica84 sorry you lost yours! I was sure surprised when I first saw him in so close and wondered what he was doing just standing there less than 10’ from my horse. (I need to train the horses not to be so tolerant!)

@FizzyGoats last year she hatched outside the yard. When I finally saw her bring her babies in, she only had 2. So she made up this year 😂

I do live right by a birds of prey location as well. So that’s always a possibility for loss. My LGD is pretty defensive about big birds flying low… but she can’t be everywhere 🤷🏼‍♀️

1041 - 1060 of 1154 Posts