The Goat Spot Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1266 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sadly, this morning I went to freshen shallow water trays for the baby ducks and saw my mama that had the 9 2 day old babies was down to 4. And the 1 day old babies were down a couple as well. The missing babies were found nearby in a neat pile… so you think this is from a cat? It doesn’t appear even one had been taken to eat, all 7 were stacked up neatly.
Bird Vertebrate Plant Beak Phasianidae

Plant Beak Mammal Carnivore Grass

·
Registered
871 Posts
@ksalvagno this is inside a fenced area, so dogs are ruled out.
@MadHouse it must be a cat. But I was hoping the duck hens had then scared still. I did see a mama chase off a cat yesterday. He didn’t seem to want anything to do with them. But perhaps when it was night? I’ve never seen them stacked like that tho…
And I do feed my outside cats, but not a lot. They all look a little thin… I want to supplement them hunting. Yesterday morning a mama cat and her babies were feasting on a rat and later in the day all I found was a kitten playing with the tail. Lol
Carnivore Terrestrial animal Tints and shades Tail Snout

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I am thinking possibly fox. (Of course that's on my mind cuz that is what we are dealing with.)
We lost a lot of chickens to fox years ago and they left them at intervals across the pasture to come back for later. I have never heard of them stacking them but maybe since they are smaller? It sounds like whatever it was wanted a stash to come back to.
I am really sorry you had to deal with such a sad situation.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
[mention]Boer Mama [/mention] I’m so sorry about the little guys. How sad. I can’t imagine cats just stacking them up and not even eating them. That’s so odd. I guess the could though.

[mention]luvmyherd [/mention] Congrats on the first (of what I’m sure will be many) eggs!

My poults and a few hens went out yesterday for about half an hour before everyone wanted back in. Today they stayed out an hour and a half and actually walked more than a few feet away from their enclosure.
Plant Bird Tree Natural landscape Grass

Plant People in nature Natural environment Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Love the pictures, @FizzyGoats !
The poults are so brave!
They sure thought so. Although, there were a few times they were a little too brave for my comfort but I was good and didn’t intervene. And you know me and what a show of restraint that was. Hahaha.

Mongoose and foxes pile like that. Cats will decemate and leave a mess. And definately will not pile neatly.
That’s interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for passing on that knowledge.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Aw, that’s sad.
I could only think a cat that gets fed, so it is not hungry, but still likes to hunt.
I got to thinking it might have been my indoor/outdoor cat. She’s well fed. Lol
She wanted out at 3am this morning and wouldn’t shut up about it so I had to shut her in the bathroom cus I didn’t want another slaughter… when I got home from riding, there was 1 little baby from youngest hatching that didn’t make it, but I can’t say if due to predator or just didn’t make it. The mama duck is very protective tho, so maybe a little freaked from experiences and could have chased off something that killed it before they got to eat it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
On a happier note- I came home today to find all 4 of my other eggs that have been under a broody hen hatched out today! Only a day or 2 younger than the first 2 babies 🍀🥰🍀
The 2nd chicken had left them to mother the 2 babies that hatched. Thankfully my first hen switched boxes and continued to sit. And thankfully she got rewarded with 4 babies and didn’t have to wait another week!
Finger Wood Nail Safety glove Bird

Bird Chicken Poultry Beak Phasianidae

I know I need to clean my nesting boxes… I cleaned my coop, but my hens went broody right before that and weren’t gonna move for nothing 😅

1201 - 1220 of 1266 Posts