Spring spring spring

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, Feb 5, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Is spring coming? I’m not sure, but I wanna know if it is for you guys!! We had a couple fifty degree days but snow is coming again this weekend haha. So here’s my reason for the post: I love love love the break in worming and tackling my goats to check FAMACHA’s etc. etc. in wintertime. However, I’m trying to gauge when I should really start getting super on top of my deworming by asking you guys 1. Your locations and 2. If you have had any parasite problems this early this year.

Thank you!!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

With the weather up and down, I'd keep an eye on things. With only 2 goats, I really haven't had any parasite problems. We will see how it goes now that there are kids. But the plan is to sell kids quickly.

3. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    It was 80 degrees on Sunday then Monday was 25. The weather here is ridicules. Today it snowed. o_O
    I hope spring comes and it warms up.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’ve only got two as well.

I’m deworming at pretty much the same level I do in worm season right now to be safe (cause you know I deworm naturally) and so I’ll be on top of the worms before they start to wake up.

friesian49 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

We have no had wormy goats for a bit now. But this weather is nuts so i do still keep in the habit of lookin once a week at everyone. None of mine really care so much when i check them. And if someone has not normal poops then i send it off just in case..... because of the dumb weather. But everyone has been fine here.

Paul and i were talkin bout this stoopid weather while goin to the dump today. Today was a nasty tornado storm weather day here... in feb. Ugh! We SO badly NEED at least three weeks of cold cold to kill off the majority of bug eggs that are just sittin waitin for spring! Bugs will be terribly if we do not get the cold. Heck two weeks ago i was swattin skeeters. That was dumb. And stink bugs.... have had em all winter long. Those lil bastards need DIE lol!

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Thankfully we have had some cold weather here in NJ. Snow and at least three weeks of cold weather with under 40s in the day and under 20 degrees in the nights.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Minus 22 Fahrenheit here in Manitoba this morning.
    But sunny! :)

The only worm we had to deal with last fall was Nematodirus (a roundworm), so we will have to be on it as soon as it warms up here, especially with new kids. Apparently they are more cold hardy than other worms.
    Warming up won’t be for a while though... Maybe March.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah keep an eye on them.
    They can get pneumonia, with temps doing that.
    If they seem off at all.
    Get a temp right away.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Oh I know. We have extreme immune support here for prevention and we are with them for hours every day and observe them very closely.

But yes, I am the pneumonia police and I am on top of it ‍♀️

10. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I'm ready for spring. It was 75 degrees the other day. Frogs and toads have been chirping the last two nights. Poor guys- we are fixing to get another cold snap! (well, chilly for NC anyway LOL)

11. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    South East Texas here and wonky weather. 70 during day and 30 at night. plus rain, rain, oh and MORE FRIGGING RAIN.....

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oooooklahoma...its windy..57° tonight..but dropping rapidly. We had snow this past Wed & Thurs. Had a thunderstorm this evening . Worming..I do Famacha. Then Fecal sample. If required I worm. If not..I leave them alone. I usually worm about once in 6 to 8 months. But it has to be because of the fecal count.

13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I want it to stop already...78* then 28* now for the next 3 days in the 40's with rain and more rain....enough!
    My poor prego's have been cooped up and they need to run around and goat to prevent problems...ugh!
    They're bored and taken to ramming at each other through the gates of their Kidding stalls....
    My poor buck looks like he has mange losing his undercoat but he's going to need it this week.....
    Crazy weather :(
    I'm checking FAMACHA's weekly and doing herd fecals (2pellets each goat) every other week just to stay on top of any significant changes.
    I know it's going to be a bad worm year... I just have this feeling that it's going to be wet and warm.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  14. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Ugh I know what you mean. We had a dry summer last year and I feel like we'd be pushing our luck to think two in a row will happen. But here's hoping (thumbup).

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm in the Bluegrass region of KY, and we've had a mild winter. Our coldest weather so far was actually back in November before Thanksgiving! We've had some cold days, but mostly have highs in the 40s/50s, some in 60s and have even hit low 70s once or twice (record territory for us!).
    A week ago the rain set in and it's been nasty with the exception of yesterday being very nice. We had our first real snow fall of the season on Friday - an inch! lol! Maybe a little more but it pretty much melted right away once it stopped snowing. Today, dark, gloomy and a lot of rain :(

So with that said... I have been staying on top of fecal checks all winter. With 2 goats I can see it being much easier to manage. Checking eyelids, and overall body condition. Knowing what worms you deal with and learning what signs the goat shows when overwhelmed is definitely key.
    For anyone reading and birthing out goats this time of year. Post delivery deworming is usually very vital, especially if you are not able to do a fecal.

I want to say the worm we probably deal with the most this time of year is Trichostrongylus. They can rapidly multiply in stress situations.

16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I have 14 with 6 due starting next weekend so I'm stressing about worms.
    I've been getting two fresh (not on ground) pellets from each and mushing them together then doing 3 slides from the mush to get an approximate idea...So far I've been ok... but dang!...it's not encouraging when you've had really no hard frosts for a few days in a row all winter :( My grass is green and half way up my shin already YUCK!

17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I totally agree! We have not had a good week worth of hard freezes, it's very random when we do get a hard freeze. Not that I like cold weather, breaking ice on buckets, etc. but I worry if we don't get some solid cold weather soon, then this spring-fall is going to be tough with parasites/bugs.

I just did 8 fecal checks over the weekend. 6 were does that had kidded, 2 had high egg counts, so I got them dewormed. 1 is just under the recommended egg count for deworming a nursing doe, so I'll recheck her and the others in a week to make sure things are good. The others were fine. The 2 bucks I did fecal's on had no parasite eggs at all, and only 1 of them had some cocci. They are twins, and 1 of them isn't gaining weight, and coat looks rough IMO. Could just be him, but his brother has gained over 10lbs. since I last weighed them. (1 1/2yo brats).
    So now I'll consider possibly mites or a vitamin/mineral deficiency. He has hair loss on his face, but thought it was probably rut nastiness related. I'm having trouble giving them loose minerals due to him tearing the feeder down. I'm trying to figure out a feeder he won't tear down (ugh, brat!).

Our grass is greening up. I think I even saw fairly sizeable buds on the red bud trees the other day! Daffodils are probably going to bloom in another week or so. We have some kind of flowers we bought about 5 years ago, not sure what they are, they are fairly common around here, and they didn't really hibernate much over the winter and have had little flowers on them all winter! Crazy.

18. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    South Louisiana -- we haven't even had winter yet. 3 mild freezes of less than 6 hours, each. My winter garden is a bust - radishes went from seedlings to flowers and skipped the radish stage entirely. Rain every other day, have to hay because the green grass is underwater. The goats are fat and stinky. They are staying up in the higher, dryer front pasture but have to run through the muck every time it starts raining to get to the barn/shelter. They are doing fine. I have hoof rot from wearing rubber boots so much.

MadHouse likes this.
  19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I know, I’m feeling it’s gonna be a wet season. It just sucks. We’ve gotten freezes but spring has pretty much started now.