SQ injection sites and holding

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by nannysrus, Jul 17, 2014.

1. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Okay. Today was the last day of ivomec and holy WOW did it not go good. Sheesh....I don't know where to begin.

First, how in the crap do you hold these booger? This is our 3rd and final dose for now but still..... (they know when I come to the holding pen with my box what is going on) What is the easiest way to hold them without tightening the skin from shoulder to shoulder so much?

Second, are their any other injection sites other than the shoulder wither area I can give SQ? We have to give penicillin to one of our girls and penicillin scares the poop out of me and especially cause this doe is only 18lbs. I know the gist of penicillin, fatal if injected into the blood stream. I need to find the best spot to give this and how to hold this girl cause this morning she squirmed around so bad I ended up hitting muscle and had to stick her all over again.

I have looked online for help on how to hold them but nothing worked. Strattling Tonka and holding her horns was hilarious. (She took my husband for a ride lol) poor thing.

I take giving shots to 1000lb animals any day over having to stick my goaties. :-(

capracreek likes this.
  2. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Also I thought penicillin was IM only? My vet said SQ only

capracreek likes this.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    A milking or fitting stand really helps.
    Or if you have two people tie goat to fence. One has their knee in goat thigh securing it against fence while the other has knee on shoulder.
    It also helps to keep head up & you to be as relaxed about it as possible.
    Another SQ spot is just past the last rib in the hollow area, under armpit or in thick part in front of shoulder.
    Have never injected ivermectin.

SQ or IM for penicillin, either way.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    capracreek likes this.
  4. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Okay I vote IM then for penicillin. I hate SQ. Also because it's Pen G it's twice a day. I don't think she needs it but vet said give it. "I" think it's allergies due to the fact that after 2 straight days of benadryl the coughing is gone and as soon as you stop it comes back. She has no temp, eats, poops, drinks, playful. She's been dewormed for lung worms. So IDK.

capracreek likes this.
  5. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

What's the best spot for IM? There is like 50 different diagrams on the Internet and they are all different. I know your not suppose to do it in the rear end close to the sciatic. Can't I just do it in front of the shoulder blade where the triangular muscle is?

3/4" should be long enough right? She is still tiny. The only other thing I have is 16 gauge 1 1/2" which I use on the horses.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    capracreek likes this.
  6. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

You can give SQ in the neck/over the shoulder for any shots even if the shots said IM. The only injection that has to be IM is hormones. You can just pull the fur/skin up so it create a 'tent'. I usually just pull on the fur...less chance to poke yourself. I find over the shoulder at the base of neck is easiest....more loose skin there.

7. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

The problem was holding them and them tensing up and I couldn't get enough skin pinched up.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Pen is better sub Q since you can more easily draw the plunger back to check for blood...SQ is less painful on the goat as well..IM leaves very sore muscle..

I give Sub Q where the neck meets the body...its hard if some one is holding them...since they are held at the neck...with my Big Ol' saanen..we cheat...my son brings doin a limb and while Amos nibbles away I quickly give his shot...we are usually faster then the meds that burn lol...Amos is 300+ #
    you can go over the rib as mentioned as well..
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/19/102/#.U8hl0oBdV2A

9. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

I want Amos lol I would love to see a 300lb goat. :) our biggest girl Tonka is just shy of 150lbs.

I feel horrible sticking an 18 Guage needle in a tiny little goat. :-(

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Eh, it's over quick. 18 gauge 1" are about the only ones I use, even on young kids. Nobody yet has died from an injection.
    Yes Ive hit blood. Ive hit between layers of skin.:-x Ive gone thru to the other side.

capracreek likes this.
  11. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Yeah I went threw the other side today on a buck and it was b complex.....whoops...He now has a pretty brown stain on him. Live and learn. The only way to get better is to do it. Another problem I have is I shake like a leaf. It's horrible. I am 26yo. I have been giving injections sense I was 13yo and I still shake like a leaf. I know what to do and how to do it so why in the heck to a start shaking like a chicken. Today was the first time I have ever hit blood on anything and didn't mean to and of coarse it was santanas penicillin shot. Thank the Lord she was the last goat cause after I got her last shot done I was done. My body just froze in fear. I knew I didn't inject the penicillin into blood but it just freaked me out.

capracreek likes this.
  12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You are not a chicken. You are a human being who makes mistakes now & then just like the rest of us.
    I still knock myself upside the head if I get blood.
    If it makes you feel any better a vet told me it's pretty difficult to hit a nerve, it has to be pretty deep.

capracreek likes this.
  13. GoatieGranny

GoatieGranny Member

Jul 26, 2013
    We all make mistakes. I have a doe with a big, sore bruise right now because of a shot I gave her. I felt so bad, but she moved in the middle of the injection and hubby and I struggled to hold her in place. '

I hate it that they know when it's time for a shot and they get all panic-stricken and scared. It makes me feel terrible! I try to hide it, be coy about it, get them busy eating a treat, etc., but they always seem to just know. Gaaah!

I shake, too. You are not alone in that.

:lovey: Hang in there and know you are doing the best you can for them. When all is said and done, they know we love them.

capracreek likes this.
  14. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Everybody got a b complex shot today. I swear their eyes get clearer about 2-3 hours after they get it. Everybody gets probios for the next 3 days too....haha.... poor gals are going to think I'm nuts. They definitely feel better though. The first time we did the ivomec we gave b complex and probios the next five days because they acted so sluggish. Then the second round of ivomec we gave b complex and probios for 3 days and they seemed much more lively. This was the third round of ivomec today and I gave b complex. This evening everybody acted like they were starving to death. All this definitely helps their appetite.

capracreek likes this.
  15. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    For small kids up to about 30 lbs, I get them against the fence, squat, put one knee in front of their chest, the other knee behind their butt kind of down where their leg starts to curve down into their hock, and push them against the fence while using my legs to control their movement. That leaves both hands free to inject whatever I'm injecting. Another option is to get them behind a gate and lean into the gate to keep them from moving. For an 18 lb kid, you can literally sit on them. Get them between your legs with you in a kneeling position, squeeze your legs together to keep them from getting away, tuck your feet behind their back legs so they can't scoot out from under you backwards, and sit hard enough to subdue them, but not hurt them. This method doesn't work for larger kids because they can buck you off.

capracreek likes this.
  16. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You are doing great!! dont worry about a little blood or a swollen shot spot...the goats forgive us when its all over...nothing a little treat wont help...
    We needed to worm a few girls tonight...Ivomec plus..My 17 year old caused one doe to bleed...she shook it off and said , oh well..she'll live.." HA! I was the one who ran to her to see if she was ok..poor mama...I rubbed it for her but she didnt want me to touch it lol...But what needs to be done needs to be done..I hate giving kids shots but when its needed..its needed...its never easy...

Amos is my baby..I bottle raised him...hes 3 now..and almost done growing..right now he is a mess...MITES!! He gets mites every year at the start of rut..usually take twice the treatment to keep them gone for rut season..this guy puts everything into his job..including getting man boobs!! SO I have to give him Ivomec once a week for 6 weeks!! Not fun..after the first few he catches on quick...My 15 year old son hold him when the limb trick stops working lol..add to it that he is in RUT always a little extra happy to see me lol and smelly to boot! plus he has two other pen mates who are also happy to see mom...Yep...we come out of the bucks pen smelly enough that the Does get happy to see us LOL....:drool:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    capracreek likes this.
  17. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

haha! That's what Tonka did. She ran away with my husband! My husband @140lbs who is 5'11" got to ride 150lb goat for a few seconds. Tonka isn't bad as long as she can't go backwards but if she gets to going backwards she makes a massive leap forward. It's fun doing all this.

18. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ok, you're 26 and you shake like a leaf. I'm 55 and I have days when I shake like a leaf, too. What's your point? You do it for the same reason I do it - sometimes your confidence level is higher than at other times. I would hate to tell you how many times I've hit blood when treating with penicillin or had the injection site bleed when I'm done. Personally, I think that is an old wives tale.

19. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

oh goats are very forgiving. As soon as they see me walk to the feeders or in the barn all is forgiven because they think food is on the way.

Speaking of bucks being in rut....lol the other day when we went and picked up our alpine buckling (me being dumb) fell in love with the buck their and I was scratching him on top of his head. I knew he stunk but I didn't care. When we got back in the truck to go home my husband goes "I'm going to have to teach you what deodorant is" well I busted out laughing. I knew exactly what he was smelling. I stuck my hand in his face and he jumped about a foot back and say "what have you been touching that is horrid!". I told him just to wait he would be stinky soon too. Haha....I still can't believe he said that to me. Talking about I need to wear deodorant. I hope I never smell that bad on my own lol

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've been dumped on my face more than once by a 2 month old kid! I would have to agree with you on the fun part. They keep us young!