The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I have some watermelon plants that have been doing well until a couple days ago.
They started dying and I finally figured out the culprit, squash bugs! I go killing them every couple days but just wondering what bug sprays have you used that will keep them away???!!
Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Sevin, dust or spray.
I just got to say, because I feel the need for future people that end up on this thread to know that Sevin dust is horrible, horrible stuff that is extremely detrimental to the environment and local ecology. There should be warnings everywhere it is available that it is a death sentence to the populations of beneficial insects and pollinators as well as honey bees. This is not meant as an attack on you @Dwarf Dad ; I'm sure the stuff does work, but I just had to say this for the benefit of insect-kind.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got to say, because I feel the need for future people that end up on this thread to know that Sevin dust is horrible, horrible stuff that is extremely detrimental to the environment and local ecology. There should be warnings everywhere it is available that it is a death sentence to the populations of beneficial insects and pollinators as well as honey bees. This is not meant as an attack on you @Dwarf Dad ; I'm sure the stuff does work, but I just had to say this for the benefit of insect-kind.
Thank you,
I HATE to kill good insects which is why I want natural stuff.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
Ugh sorry. I've been told not to plant squashes in that location the following year because eggs are in the soil? I don't know if this is factual. I adore growing pumpkins and feel your pain but don't have a good solution for you.
I'm pretty sure that only works with the squash vine borer. They are moths that lay their eggs in the ground and then the larva emerge and mess up your plants. Squash bugs are what's called a leaf footed insect (looking kind of like stink bugs) and they don't lay their eggs in the ground, so rotational planting shouldn't really help with them since it's the adults and nymphs you have to worry about and they can fly.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty sure that only works with the squash vine borer. They are moths that lay their eggs in the ground and then the larva emerge and mess up your plants. Squash bugs are what's called a leaf footed insect (looking kind of like stink bugs) and they don't lay their eggs in the ground, so rotational planting shouldn't really help with them since it's the adults and nymphs you have to worry about and they can fly.
Yes, they lay their eggs on the leaves.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Thank you, I will try this! Have you used it before?
I just started using it about 5 weeks ago. I have sprayed back yard and garden twice, I think things are better.
Usually I plant marigolds around the garden to keep pests out, and did not do that this year. Bugs are about the same as when marigolds were planted.
@NigerianDwarfOwner707 uses this product, that is where I learned about it.

Reactions: healthyishappy

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,067 Posts
Bucket of soapy water, deposit picked off bugs. Sticky tape helps to gently pick off the rows of gold colored eggs with minimal leaf bruising. Nasturtium flowers are a natural squash bug repellent. Plant a few close by the squash plants here and there. Also, the flowers and leaves are edible. Dill, the plant itself, or calendula flowers have a nectar that attract the Tachinid fly. This wasp looking small fly eats squash bug eggs.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bucket of soapy water, deposit picked off bugs. Sticky tape helps to gently pick off the rows of gold colored eggs with minimal leaf bruising. Nasturtium flowers are a natural squash bug repellent. Plant a few close by the squash plants here and there. Also, the flowers and leaves are edible. Dill, the plant itself, or calendula flowers have a nectar that attract the Tachinid fly. This wasp looking small fly eats squash bug eggs.
I will definitely get some of these.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Thanks for the insect clarification!

I do find that deeply mulching my pumpkins in hay chaffe from the floor of the hay barn and hay wagons seems to help with insects but then I have to be careful not to mulch too closely to the stems or they get moisture damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.