The Goat Spot Forum banner

221 - 240 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Aw, she's adorable! Good grief, no, I wouldn't pull anything. You can do a Warm saline uterine flush with a dissolved bolus in it. It will help things along and feel good. Poor Bubble, she had a rough go.
How's Ash?
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The healthy one came out perfectly normal. This one obviously is rotting and dead so I didn't know if it was attached still or if it is something that should be taken out. I will leave it alone and flush her out later. Checking ash now, but she was just chewing cud not too long ago. I think tomorrow would be more likely for her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
(headsmash) Gosh darn doe code. I am going INSANE! How is it day 151 and 0 out of 5 goats(and one sheep) have gone or even look very close!

Okay, I did check dates and I got Mary-Lou and Twinkle early. They were bred October 8, putting them (still)at 149. The other girls remain the same. 150/151 days.

Ash was standing totally alone(in the wind) tonight. Udder felt quite a bit bigger. Some discharge. She was stretching quite a bit earlier.

Bessie's udder has gotten even bigger over the last couple hours. A little bigger than a basketball now. Only the bottom feels tight though. Everything else is still pretty loose.

Bubble was also stretching a lot earlier. Udder maybe looked bigger tonight, it was dark though. Ligs are even looser than a little bit ago.

Mary-Lou is the same, ligs are softer.

Twinkle has had pretty loose ligs. Udder looks about the same but she was a fill during kidding girl on her FF.

Lady is on day 139, anime is probably right with her. Both have been filling udders and ligs have been getting loose.

I will do a few night checks but I don't think anyone will be going. Tomorrow does seem promising though! Surely at least one of them has got to pop...Right?(doh)
I am goat beginner. When you say the doe stretched, what does it mean ?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I am goat beginner. When you say the doe stretched, what does it mean ?
When they are close to due and are stretching a lot, more than 5 times in a 10 minute period, that usually(not always!) Means they are getting kids into position. If they are arching their back and stretching like a cat, that could be contractions.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Everything seems good this morning. Bubble is eating and drinking great. That yucky placenta is hanging out about 2ft. I tied the end and it is surely but slowly moving. It is out about another 4 inches from just 5 minutes ago. Should be out all the way soon. Both little doelings are doing great. The one on mama is eating a bunch and starting to hop around. The girl inside is up to eating 4oz by herself and starting to explore.

Ash is back to normal. I can feel ligs again and looking back on pictures of her last kidding her udder isn't quite full yet. She would be on day 152, but, really it could be anytime. She was with peewee for about 3 weeks. She is acting perfectly normal so I am trying not to worry too much.

Bessie should go today. Udder has blown up and poor girl is trying to take all the babies! She was chasing maui down, then came into the barn and was trying to get with bubbles baby(which bubble was not too happy about!). She wasn't over when I filled the feeder and threw hay out and kinda just wandering around. Hopefully she will go sometime in the afternoon when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Are you going to put the inside baby back with Bubbles!

I'd love a video of the very pregnant Bessie chasing little Maui that must of been quite a funny sight.

Seriously Ash, let go of those babies already... ugh, you're being silly.
I may try, depends when she starts eating good. She is eating ok, but lows are still in the 20s and I just dont want her to get cold and having no food in her belly doesn't really help.

I will have to try and get one. It is pretty funny!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
The afterbirth finally fell out. Bit sigh of relief!
Here is the other little girl. She is a cutie.
IMG_20210307_100705357_HDR.jpg

And here is bessie stalking them.
IMG_20210307_101159305.jpg
Poor girl needs to start having her own! She is pacing up and down the fence line stopping to check on maui in the chicken coop, then going to check on bubbles girl, on repeat

This is old. I thought I hit post earlier :eek:ops2:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
Bessie had one big ol ram lamb. Totally text book no issues. He was standing and tried nursing in less than 5 minutes! He is the cutest thing ever! She has more than enough milk for him, that's for sure! I brought inside doeling out to bubble and she was ok with her but didn't want to let her drink. Bessie, as soon as she heard her cry, wanted her! I set her down and she didn't even both to sniff. Just started licking her. I would graft onto her, but don't think that would be best for the kid.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Aw, good momma Bessie! From what I understand Ewe's usually only an count to one Lamb, and have to be taught they have more than one. @fivemoremiles am I wrong here?
Bum lambs can be put on does, but I don't know if it works the other way around. No matter, it's sure is sweet that Bessie wants to.
Maybe you just have to work harder with Bubble? Or have a house goat which is always fun.
Anyway congratulations to you and Bessie on your new ram!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Aw, good momma Bessie! From what I understand Ewe's usually only an count to one Lamb, and have to be taught they have more than one. @fivemoremiles am I wrong here?
Bum lambs can be put on does, but I don't know if it works the other way around. No matter, it's sure is sweet that Bessie wants to.
Maybe you just have to work harder with Bubble? Or have a house goat which is always fun.
Anyway congratulations to you and Bessie on your new ram!
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I have seen it done the other way around, and on cows, but never sheep. I also don't know if the milk would even be okay as even the milk replacers are pretty different between the 2 and I wouldn't want the kid ill or malnourished as a result.. Never mind anyways! I just went out and there was another lamb! Bigger than the first, another ram. 1 hour, 20 minutes apart.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Wow, things are moving fast for you now!!!
Congrats on the two rams!
The little doelings are both so cute! The first one looks like a curly sheep. :inlove:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have not tried kids on ewes ether. I am remodeling the grafting barn this month. i am using some ewes this year. I will have lambs and kid in the mix. so i will find out how it goes. i will start a thread once i start to use the barn.
My grafting barn is more of a milking barn where the lambs are the inflation's. the lambs and kids don't mind who they suck on as long as they get food.

221 - 240 of 298 Posts