SSN 2021 Kidding Thread

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by SandyNubians, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh geez so sorry about loseing Ginger and your wether.
    Yes something about getting it all cleaned out..that hay smell..it just seems like kidding time. Ol man Winter is comeing,,and all the preggos start to waddle and get really wide. Lol lol. My favorite time of year.

SandyNubians and MadHouse like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So sorry anout Ginger and the sheep boy! :hug:

SandyNubians and MellonFriend like this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Aww I am sorry about Ginger and the wether. That stinks. :(

But yay for babies coming!! Exciting to watch again, such pretty girls and I agree, it looked like that sheep was wearing a big fluffy coat, I rather liked it LOL. We have Katahdins and they're just now getting their fluffy and super soft winter coats! They look like little wooly bears haha.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Got my hay! Woohoo! Makes it feel real that kids are coming shortly. In 3 months, 1 week anyway.

Hay just makes me feel so happy. What makes me even happier is that by chance I saw a post of hay last night on CL, saw the house in the background, and thought it looked familiar. It was my neighbor who is only 2 houses away. 80/20 3rd cutting Alfalfa/Grass(Perfect for me!) Super leafy. It was only $6!! Per 85-90lb bale for me. The cherry on top. I watched it grow and be harvested from start to finish. Which is pretty cool. I always thought they used the hay for their cows. That was pretty lucky. The other hay I was supposed to get was $9 per bale, plus delivery and stacking.

Got 50 bales today, I will get another 50 tomorrow and I should be good until April. Smells amazing, looks amazing(So green!), feels amazing. I can't wait to give it to the girls tomorrow and see how they like it. The stuff they have now is more of a grass/weed/alfalfa and they like it, but I already had some trying to hop the fence after I gave them a handful of this new stuff, lol. Needless to say, I am one happy goat lady today! Aside from my back hurting from stacking, and the thunderstorm, rain, and 30mph winds that appeared out of nowhere as I was trying to stack everything in the hay shed, it's been a good day.

Pictures don't do justice how green this stuff is!
    IMG_20201118_163155719.jpeg

Next projects. Finish cleaning the barn. Fix and move the hay feeder into the barn. Build a creep feeder for the kids. Destroy and replant the pasture. Fix fences. That should keep me busy till it is closer to kidding season.

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Looks delicious and what a great deal! :hubbahubba: I love me a full hay shed.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. ksalvagno

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh that is awesone.you are going to have some very happy munchers! They will be so content! And wow...what a Great Price!

10. MadHouse

You know you’re a goat farmer when a shed full of green hay can make you sooo happy! I totally feel it!

11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no, I’m so so sorry Gingers gone. ((Hugs)) so sad about the wether too.
    Your hay looks lovely! We’re paying $22. For a three wire bale.. you’re so lucky to have a source close by.
    Looking forward to updates on your waddle squad. :)

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Well, I got the hay feeder torn down, fixed, shortened, and moved. Hay shed is 100% full(no room at all! Makes me so happy:lolgoat:) I am just starting on barn clean up so things are a bit messy. We are officially into the teens at night. No nights warmer than 18°F at least in the next 2 weeks. No days warmer than 38°. Supposed to get snow tomorrow morning. Should be fun! Rushing to get the barn cleaned and get some warm bedding down.

Now, I am 99.9% sure Winnie is bred!(dance) She is HUGE! I noticed last week she was starting to get a little bit chunky, didn't want to get my hopes up in case she just has a big rumen. She is clearly getting bigger by the day now. At least twice the size of all the other sheep. 5 weeks left!
    IMG_20201124_143039453.jpg IMG_20201124_143114831.jpg

I believe mara may have been bred a few days ago. I noticed she had a goopy back end when I was getting pics of Winnie. If that is the case, I think everyone is bred. So there should be 15 does, and 3 ewes, due between March and April. With about 10 of them due in a 10 day period. 4 on the same day. (doh) I would rather have that instead of spread out over several weeks going crazy, lol. 96 days until the real fun begins!

14. ksalvagno

15. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Butter has the cutest colors!

16. Wow that hay price is amazing. We are paying about $23 per 3 strand bales of straight alfalfa. I'd have jumped all over that too, especially being so close!

Hooray for Winnie being bred!

17. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Well, some good and bad things this last week.

3 days ago I went out and found peewee dead:( I have no idea what the heck happened. He was a little bit thin from the rut, but still a definite 2 BCS. I can only guess, but from where I found him looks like he just froze to death. He was very tiny and it was cold that night at °9F. And tarzan doesn't like him sleeping in the barn with the does, so he may have chased him out. That's what I am guessing anyway. Though I did notice it warmed up a bit that some blood started dripping out of his mouth. I really have no idea though. Really hoping all the does he got took now. I was only planning to keep one standard kid, but I will definitely keep a doeling from peewee if I get one.

Anyways, the good. Winnie has a little udder! It is super cute.
    IMG_20201206_101756580.jpg
    Winnie has 30 days left. All the other girls should start in about 80-84 days.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of Peewee. :rose: That's really rough. :(

That is a cute little udder though.

19. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no poor peewee! Sounds like he had an internal injury, maybe Tarzan rammed him. I’m so so very sorry you lost him. He was such a sweet boy. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a doe from him for you!
    Awww, look at Winnies little udder...it’s adorable!
    Who bred Mara?

20. MadHouse

My condolences concerning Peewee. :hug:

Very cute sheep udder!