SSN 2021 Kidding Thread

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by SandyNubians, Nov 5, 2020.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Yeah, I thought about that. I may do a necropsy and see if I can find anything. It will be cold enough out to wait so I will probably do it in a few weeks if I get the time.

Im not sure. She was with both of them. I would have, and wish I kept her with peewee, but she is the exact same size as gelato, abbey, and tala(all standards) so I figured she will be fine regardless who breeds her.

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    So sorry for the loss of Peewee.
    But your udder is really cute.

SandyNubians and MadHouse like this.
  5. Oh man that is terrible. I'm so sorry :( We suffered some loss this year, I know it sucks.

But ooooh weee I love FF udders coming in! So adorable! Looking forward to the 2 FF we have starting some in about a month or so!

6. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Mara definitely isn't bred to peewee. She is for sure in heat today and I actually saw her get bred this time. So she will be due May 3rd. Right at 2 years, 3 months old.

7. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Getting closer! I don't 100% remember the day Winnie was bred. So she could be due between Jan 1 and Jan 9th. So about 17-26 days left! Here is another udder pic. Definitely still growing. Sheep udders are bigger than I thought they would be. Her ligs are starting to loosen up as well! Very excited to see my and her first lambs! IMG_20201214_183701349.jpg

I also got some pictures of handsome Mr.Tarzan this morning. Sire to all the standard kids. Darn pics aren't working :mad: Will have to try on the computer in a bit!

About 75ish days until all the other girls start kidding.

8. Awww I love lambs! All ours are due end of March into April. We have I think 7 ewes bred.

9. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    That's awesome! These are my first sheep and will be my first lambs ever. I couldn't find anything on signs they are bred or close to lambing. Everything I read basically said that they leave the flock and paw the ground when they are lambing and that is about it. I think I read somewhere that they lose their ligs like goats...? But that was a while ago. I thought from what I read, they didn't get an udder until the last 1-2 weeks but I guess that was wrong. I an guessing they will fill very quickly and get tight when they are about to lamb? Like goats. Or do they just slowly fill? Sorry for the questions! Totally new to me and I am even a little more nervous than I usually with the goats.

10. So I had the same issue. We've only had 2 lamb here. One I didn't even know was bred LOL. I couldn't find ANYTHING about ewes due to kid. I had one, I knew was supposed to be bred (from the person we bought them from) and didn't know when she was due. She started an udder and I thought maybe like goats...we were 4-6 weeks out. Umm no...she had the baby 2 weeks later...in a thunderstorm! Came out and there was baby.

2nd one we got this past April. No clue she was bred. I missed the comment that she was possibly bred, when we bought her. (My husband said the guy told us maybe...I don't remember that) Anyway, one day went out to feed and saw something tiny on the ground when I was mentally counting sheep. Ran over and the ewe had just had her maybe an hour before! That was a fun surprise!

Our sheep, with lambing, we are more hands-off. They lamb with the herd and we just watch and make sure everyone is doing good. They're not AS tame as the goats. Well, maybe now, they will come up to us and be petted...but the July ewe lamb...she thinks we're going to kill her or something...so afraid even though she sees all the others come to us.

So no...not helpful...sorry. I made note when I saw the ram breeding certain ewes and know the last week of March and first week of April...all lambs should be born.

11. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Winnie has 7 days left!!!!(dance)I think... Could be due as late as Jan 14 or as early as Jan 4th. So between 5 and 14 days, I figure she should be somewhere in the middle. Ligs are very loose and udder is about the same. I think she just has one little lamb in there.

As for everyone else, does should start going in 60 days. Meredith, Sarsparilla, and The merino ewe all went into heat. The the does went to see a buck someone was kind enough to let me use last minute. A pretty standard buckskin nigi. And The merino I never saw get bred but if she did it would be to cowpoke.

Getting exciting!

12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yay! Almost there :)
    Happy New Year!
    So exciting...can’t wait to see the little lamb!

13. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

5 more days until the lamb is due! I am excited for you!!

14. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Woohoo, 2021. So ready to put the nightmare that was 2020 behind us.

I found the day she was bred! I was hanging a new calendar and realized I marked the date down. She was in heat September 12th. That puts her on day 145 which makes sense. Couldn't find her ligs and she has been acting a bit strange. Pushing her head in the wall, ramming everyone, licked me a few times, discharge, looked like she has dropped, and doing some stretching. Her udder still isn't quite full, but I don't know if she will fill it.

Excuse the muddy walls. Had a bunch of rain last night and everything is a muddy mess(Thank you chickens...) Look how much she dropped! She used to look like a big balloon and I definitely couldn't see her hips before. Also photo bombing lamb, Morty. I am ready for some babies to start the year off on a good note!
    IMG_20210103_130429177.jpg
    IMG_20210103_130527523.jpg
    IMG_20210103_130248428.jpg

15. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I tried really hard and couldn't find ligs(a lot harder with wool, lol) The way she is acting, I think she may be in early labor or close to it. Wouldn't surprise me with all the rain. Watching her on the cams for now. Will see what tomorrow brings!

16. MadHouse

Happy lambing!!!

17. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Yay! I can't wait to see some cute little lambies! I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

18. MadHouse

The pictures of the hind end of one and face of another actually looks like one sheep doing a cool yoga move!

19. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Loved Morty photo bombing:heehee:. Cracked me up(embarrassed). So cute. Thanks for the laugh. Happy lambing!

GoofyGoat, SandyNubians and MadHouse like this.
  20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California