SSN 2021 Kidding Thread

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by SandyNubians, Nov 5, 2020.

1. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Aww, wish I had some lambs to show. I just want to see some cute babies already(Thankfully lots of other kidding threads seem to be starting so I have lots to keep me occupied!)

Rained all night, supposed to go for at least another 8 hours. Pasture and barn is flooded. No more straw so I had to dig a bunch of dirt out from under the hay shed. Made an area just big enough that everyone can be on high to be dry. I filled the chicken coop(where I have winnie for now) with a bunch of pine shaving I had so she is high and dry. You would think perfect time to pop them out! Nope, she seems pretty normal again. Udder seems a little bigger but nothing else. I did find ligaments so I think between the wool and them being low I just managed to miss them. Oh well! Day 146. 147 is what I heard is the usual day they go, so hopefully tomorrow!

Then about 55 days until the other girls start. Should start seeing some bellies get bigger soon! Bubble already seems a lot bigger so I am wondering if she has another set of quads in there.

2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I hope y’all get dried out soon. Rain and mud is no fun for lambing (or kidding)
    Thinking happy pink thoughts for your first lamb and a textbook easy time for your ewe.
    There’s a cute show on Amazon Prime about Victorian farms and they talk a lot about lambing maybe you and Winnie can watch it while you wait. I learned a thing or two that I’m going to try here on my little patch of land.
    Happy New Year and I can’t wait for pictures :)

Attached Files:

3. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Oh no. You shouldn't show me stuff like that! Guess it is time to make some popcorn and multitask watching that and ewe cam! :lolgoat: Thank you! I will definitely watch it later!

Usually we don't have this much rain until early Feb. I would have preferred snow, but muddiness aside at least it watered the pasture! I will have to go seed it before if freezes up again.

4. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Watch Sandi Brock on you tube. She is the lambing queen lol.

5. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Day 147 the most common date for them to lamb, according to everything I read anyway. I do remember she was bred at night so technically day 147 won't be until around 8 tonight :p

She is acting pretty normal. Udder feels bigger. Borderline tight, but not quite there. She was very swollen in the back end and her ligament area felt waay lower. Not enough for me to get excited yet, but enough to keep me hovering and peeking in the camera.

Ugh, these last few days always seem sooo much longer than the almost 5 months to get here! I wouldn't be so worried about it, but this is Winnies first lambs, Cowpokes first lambs, and my first lambs! I just want to be able to get a good feel for what it is like and make sure everything goes smoothly.

Here is her udder from this morning
    IMG_20210105_095541390.jpg

6. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Oh yes! I already follow her. She is awesome! That is where I got my CIDR protocol from.

7. Ahhhh baby lambs soon! I absolutely LOVED the pics earlier with the photobomber! Hahaha. That face was just so adorable. "Stop taking her pic, look how adorable I am!!!" haha

Can't wait to see little wooly babies!

8. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Looking good!
    I think you’ll love all the Victorian Farmer shows. I love their Christmas shows too. Peter is absolutely adorable with his pigs too lol.
    Popcorn and baby critter tv is one of my favorite pastimes :)

9. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I didn't get to read this whole thread yet... sorry if you already said this. Are you planning to milk her? I am thinking about getting a lamb in the spring, and I've been thinking about trying to milk her when the time comes. I've heard of other people doing it

10. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I would love to get sheep someday. When I was a kid, someone on the end of the street had a sheep pasture. There was about 40 sheep there and a tiny tiny home. Never saw who actually lived there, kinda strange. The sheep were all off white..no clue what kind lol. I used to love to go down there and just watch them.

11. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I am hoping to! She has a nice udder, and I am honestly curious what it will taste like. A neighbor I had a while back had a couple East Friesians and I found out from her that they are a dairy breed(I never even knew there was dairy breed of sheep). Now, she moved away after a year and never did breed them before they were sold. So I didn't get to try it. I even got a EF Ewe on a bottle about 4 years back. I was super excited and she was a sweetheart! Sadly she had a horrible, horrible death by a pig at 4 weeks old. That was my only sheep experience up until mid/late 2019 when I got Winnie and the 3 others.
    This was my first sheep and pretty little ewe, Samantha. Only picture I got of her as she wasn't here very long :(
    IMG_20210106_095947488.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My kids showed suffolks for 4H & ffa. They were so sweet. Until they didnt want to be halter trained. Then they were onery. It was always a challenge...but the.kids won them over. They did very well in their shows. But we never.lambed..just purchased to raise & show.
    Im excited for you @fivemoremiles raises sheep. Im sure they could answer any questions you.have.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and SandyNubians like this.
  13. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I feel like that will be me one day (rofl) Tiny little house I spend no time in, but a big ol pasture with 200 goats!

14. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Getting there. Day 148(or 147 depending how you look at it)

Her udder I would say is tight, or at least very dang close. It is like a perfectly round beach ball. She was also really wanting to stay outside this morning, which was strange because everyone else was in the barn. Still eating though and acting pretty normal. I would say maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow.

IMG_20210106_102150649.jpg

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oooh babies....

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  16. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    Aww, it is always so special when you can dinally win the over. These guys I have are all fairly sweet, but I am used to dairy goats so in comparison they are like a House cat VS a feral. They will eat out of my hands and I can touch them if they are eating, but no way I can catch them without a chase.

They are kind like a hobby I guess. Goats are my thing, that is what I am almost always focused on. Sheep are kinda like a little side of some wool, and maybe in the future, meat(depending if I let the Suffolk ewe raise a ram up). Kinda just doing it for fun. If this wasn't everyone's first time I would probably just let her go and completely do her thing, but because it is a first I want to be there and get a feel for how it all goes down. If she has more than 1 lamb I think I may pull one as well. Just so I can add a more friendly one to the herd that I can kinda work with.

17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Looks like she’s just about there..I can’t wait :)
    Yay Winnie, show us what you got hiding in there....

18. SandyNubians

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    She is definitely in labor. Lots of pawing, yawning, up and down, staring into space, and looking behind herself. Should have lambs in the next few hours!:clapping:

19. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    First forget all you know about kidding and goats. sheep are not goats. ewes can delay giving birth for as much as a week. watch your barometric pressure ewes will not lamb in high pressure but if the pressure is moving up or down it is a go.
    if she is chewing her cud she is not in labor. most ewes like to lamb in a corner. they dont like to lay down in the early stages of labor. after you have lambed a few hundred you can see a ewe in labor two hours before they lamb. in the late stages they will stretch there neck and look up at the sky. we call it praying. if you see a ewe praying she should give birth in about 15 minutes.

Sheep milk is very rich and creamy. it tastes like milk. but there is nothing better than sheep milk ice cream is amazing. it is so creamy that is coats the top of your mouth and you can taste it for several minutes after you are done eating it.

20. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Good luck, Winnie!