The Goat Spot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Oh man, sorry for no updates! Got busy.

Little wade(the ram) ended up finding a new home. Winnie was an amazing mother, but the sheep refused to stay in the barn and she wouldn't feed him as often as she should when she was alone. At 10 days old we had 43° + rain, then 20° temps at night and lamb was literally an icicle in the morning, very slow and refused to move. Winnie must have broke out of the pen, then barn, and went outside will all the other sheep sometime in the afternoon. Lamb followed. Ended up rained on then out in the cold all night. I was worried he would end up dead as we had more rain and cold temps coming. I pulled him and luckily he switched to a bottle almost instantly. Found him a home a few days later and he is doing great with them. Winnie was upset for the day but she's ok now. I dried her up and turned her out with everyone. No more lambing in January! At least not until I can get solid pens built that are tall enough they can't jump out. I feel awful, but I would have felt worse if the lamb had died. This was the cutie though.
IMG_20210111_112510398.jpg
IMG_20210111_112418150.jpg
IMG_20210111_112428949.jpg

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Ok, as for everyone else. We are getting close! Just 28 days left until the watch starts!

Mary-Lou, Twinkle toes, and Bessie(The Suffolk) should all be due withing the first week. Bessie on March 2, Mary-Lou on March 4, and Twinkle on March 5th(Unless she goes way early again). Then followed by (I think) Bubble on the 8th, Lady on the 8th, and Ash sometime around there based on her udder. I think anime is due on the 14th? Possibly. I don't remember. I totally forgot to write all the dates. Rootbeer also looks bred for sure. Sarsparilla and Meredith both went into heat again back in mid December. Tala I think was also bred in December. And then mara shouldn't be due until April(?). The merino ewe went into heat but I never did see Cowpoke breed her. All that girl wanted was humans and not another sheep, lol. So we will see with her.

I would be ecstatic if even just 9 are bred. I know for sure at least 7 are, hoping a few others surprise me.

I will get pics in just a few!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Aww, I'm glad you were able to get him in and find a home before the unthinkable happened. That stinks about mama not letting him eat as much.
She really was a great mama. But as soon as she couldn't see the other sheep, even if I put her "sister" in with her, she would just pace and scream. I felt it was for the best. I just wasn't prepared yet I guess, and poor minnie was the one who suffered from it :(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Well, this is what I've got for now.

Ashleigh's rear end. Cute little udder coming along, she is probably the easiest one to tell is bred visually.
IMG_20210131_112037141.jpg

Bubble. She had quads last year. Not quite as big this year but she hangs super low. I am thinking trips at this point.
IMG_20210131_112208443.jpg

IMG_20210131_112339769.jpg

Mary-Lou. She is just now starting to get a little bigger. I think a single. Maybe twins.
IMG_20210131_112229049.jpg

Anime. Not quite sure when she is due. But she has a tiny little udder started.
IMG_20210131_112225372.jpg

Best I have of twinkle. She is either out enjoying the sunny day we are having today, or in the feeder eating. Hard to see, but a cute little udder under there...somewhere. I can feel it so I am not crazy!
IMG_20210131_112057966.jpg

Bessie. He udder is already huge. I mean, she is a big girl, but it is still big! I was told she had trips before, so I am thinking probably trips or twins.
IMG_20210131_112408128.jpg

I forgot about liv. She has an udder going on I think. Maybe due mid march? I felt lady and she has a little handful. Rootbeers pooch says bred, can't tell much on her udder. Chonk is still drinking from her. I gotta separate them soon. Everybody will get hooves trimmed, shots, and (not the sheep)copper today. Gotta call the vet in the morning to get some lute or set up an appointment to give dog goat some lute. Dang goat got out on friday and was bred by tarzan right as I was trying to lead her back into the pen. I had no idea she was in heat. Got the barn cleaning up yesterday, and hopefully will reseed the pasture sometime in the next few weeks. Can't wait to have babies bounding around out there!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
there are some things that i didnt mention about sheep. they are not goats, they have wool and are not fazed by weather. but the lambs dont have long enough wool.
to avoid problems shear your sheep one month before they lamb.shearing makes the sheep act more like goats. Shearing will get the sheep to go in the barn to lamb, to sleep and to hide in poor weather.
You may want to lamb in better weather. I lamb in may the end of may.
was this ewe a FF the first lambing ewes are just dumb.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
there are some things that i didnt mention about sheep. they are not goats, they have wool and are not fazed by weather. but the lambs dont have long enough wool.
to avoid problems shear your sheep one month before they lamb.shearing makes the sheep act more like goats. Shearing will get the sheep to go in the barn to lamb, to sleep and to hide in poor weather.
You may want to lamb in better weather. I lamb in may the end of may.
was this ewe a FF the first lambing ewes are just dumb.
Thank you for all the info you have given! I am totally out of my depths. Will keep that in mind for next year. The other girls should lamb when it is warm out so thankfully I don't have to worry too much. Yeah, she was a FF. I wondered if that had a bit to do with it. Amazing mom outside with the rest but not so great when I tried to keep them put up out of the weather.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
No major updates. Spent yesterday going through and getting due dates for all the ones I remembered to write down, lol. 25 Days until kidding watch.

Buuut, today is a very special girl's birthday. Mara turned 2 today! So lucky to have this amazing, sweet girl! I only wish I could have saved her mama:( I did get a new vet this year. They are much closer than my last and in the event of literally all the wrong things happening at once they would be able to get here in 15 minutes vs 30 and flooding(Oh the joys of living right next to the river) traffic.

Anyways, birthday girl got some grain and lots of cuddles today. I love this girl so much.
IMG_20210203_154938761.jpg
IMG_20210203_155652475.jpg

And some baby pics because she was/is absolutely adorable.
20190317_122242.jpg

20190208_143350.jpg

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Aw, there’s the very very special girl! I can’t believe it’s been two years already. I remember the night she was born and how you lost her sweet mother. It was heartbreaking but you had no choice. She’s grown to be such a gorgeous Little lady...give her extra scratches for me please and maybe a couple of animal crackers too :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Well, the watch will start a little bit sooner than I thought. Not by much though. I will start watching on the 23rd this month.

I was going through and getting dates for the girls that I remembered to write due dates on. Then when I was looking at the notes on my phone it shows the last time I edited them. The last time I edited was October 7th. I marked that Bubble, Liv, and Ashleigh were bred. I knew bubbles due date but had no idea when ashleighs and livs were. So I just was going to start watching around the 10th when lady is due. Guess not! They had to have been bred on or before the 7th. So they will both be due on Feb 28th or sooner! Can't be more than a week sooner so I will just watch. No wonder it was easy to tell they were bred :lolgoat:

Due dates that I have
Ashleigh due in 19-24 days (Feb 22th-28th)
Liv due in 19-24 days (Feb 22th-28th)
Bessie due in 27 days (March 2)
Mary-Lou due in 28 days (March 3)
Twinkle Toes due in 29 days (March 4)
Bubble due in 31 days (March 6)
Lady due in 36 days (March 11)
Anime due in 40 days. March 15 (Not totally sure, didn't find a breed date so I am going by udder)
(Possibly)Tala due on April 4
(Possibly) Abbey due April 4
Mara due May 3
Sarsparilla due May 7
(Possibly) Merino due May 13

Rootbeer is also bred, just not sure when.

Then Meredith, Butter, Biscuit, and Winona. Not sure about these 4 though. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Aw, there's the very very special girl! I can't believe it's been two years already. I remember the night she was born and how you lost her sweet mother. It was heartbreaking but you had no choice. She's grown to be such a gorgeous Little lady...give her extra scratches for me please and maybe a couple of animal crackers too :)
She really is quite the pretty girl! I will give her lots of scratches for you! No animal crackers sadly, but I just made some homemade horse/goat treats so everyone can get a little piece of "cake"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
You are going to be soooo busy! I can't wait to see all those wee ones! YAY!
I can't wait to be busy! It is the best kind of busy ever! Should have 18-25 kids on the ground by May! Jeeez and to think, next year I might have 20-25 does kidding! That will be roughly 40-50 kids! You won't see me complaining though. I would be floating in a sea of baby goats and loving every minute of it!:eek:ohlala:

101 - 120 of 298 Posts