The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have a Nigerian Dwarf doe and I noticed tonight that she was laying by herself. I went to see her and when I got her up she was staggering. If I was not paying attention I probably would not have noticed it, but I did.

She just got done weaning twins about 2 weeks ago even though her doeling still tries to nurse from time to time. Last week she got diarehha so I took in a still sample and she had a moderate worm load so I wormed her with 6cc ivermec. About a week and a half ago I noticed that she was squinting her eyes and they were running and slightly cloudy so I put some neo in them. They seemed better the next day. FYI: we live on a dusty dirt road so we do have some eye issues.

Anyways, I did a quick google and came up with Polio or Listerosis. What are your thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
It's a good idea to treat for both. Since symptoms are very similar. Other things to consider is deer worm if you live in white tail deer area. Also keep a watch on her eye if its cloudy could be pink eye which can take a week or so to clear. A drop of tylan 200/la200 or penicillin twice a day and keeping it clean and dry will clear it up, but if it has ulcerated only the neospordin no antibiotics. Also check her temp and her eyes for anemia. If she is anemic it can cause weakness and stumbling.... Best wishes

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Did you check her temp? Did you check her iver well to make sure she does not have like a snake bite? I am thinking the polio or Listeria but I know a lot of people that have lost goats this year to snake bite.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys! Thanks for the quick reply.

Sweetgoats: No, I have not checked her temp yet. I was actually planning on doing that in the morning when I can see. I did check her over good and did not see anything. (before I lost the light) She has been acting off for about a week now so I think a snake bite is probably not it, but I will def. keep an eye out.

Happybleats: Yes, I checked her eyes and they are back to being pink so I do not believe she is anemic. I do live in a white tail deer area, but no deer get in their pasture. Could it still be a problem? I had a doe with pink eye once before, but this did not look like that. It cleared up the next day so I was not too worried about it, but thought it was worth mentioning because of her symptoms. :)

Does anyone know what the dosage for Pen and B complex would be for a 60lb goat?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Slugs and snails carry meningeal worm into pastures. The deer never have to enter it. Usually starts with back end weakness.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
It wouldnt hurt to cover your bases with Thiamine, Pencillin and MW treatment which is safe guard and Ivomec...

If she gets better quickly then you know its not listeriosis which takes longer to recover from...but with MW you need to start as soon as you see weakness for best recovery chances...
Here is a link to show how to treat both Polio and Listeriosis. include a chart on how much pen to give
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
here is one on MW
http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Slugs and snails carry meningeal worm into pastures. The deer never have to enter it. Usually starts with back end weakness.
^^^correct!! So IMO I would treat for all 3. I only know a little about meningeal worm just from passing sites, I do not have white tailed deer but I would look into how to treat it. Also I may be 100% wrong here, but something to think about. Did you take another sample in after you wormed her?? I hear a lot about wormers not working for some goats and on and on, so maybe would not hurt to look into that.....Just thinking for you. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Her temp this morning was 102.8. She is staying by herself and from what I can tell she is not chewing her cud. I am going to start her on Fortified B complex and Pen. I will also be taking another fecal sample to the vet.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Not chewing a cud means her rumen canbe shutting down...B complex is a great idea..but she also need C D Antitoxin to protect her from toxcity...you can also use Milk of magnesia 15 cc per 60# if you can't find the C D Antitoxin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not chewing a cud means her rumen canbe shutting down...B complex is a great idea..but she also need C D Antitoxin to protect her from toxcity...you can also use Milk of magnesia 15 cc per 60# if you can't find the C D Antitoxin
Generally I keep the antitoxin on hand, but for some reason I cannot find it! If I do the milk of mag. do i give it orally or sub Q?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Good news on the fecal!!! MOM is 15 cc per 60# orally ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I just went back and reviewed the website for the polio/liserosis. I have been giving her 3cc of fortified B complex every 6 hours. After re-reading it again it looks like I am supposed to be giving her 3cc of pen every 6 hours also. I have only given her one shot of pen so far. Should I take it to every 6 hours? Do you guys think I am giving her enough B vit?
Also, is it normal for her to want to be by herself? She goes out in the field with them, but when she comes back into the paddock she lays in the dark shelter all by herself. Weird!

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Yes..continue the pen every six hours...How much does she weigh?? 3 cc is good for a 50 pound goat...

Fortified Vitamin B Complex contains 100cc of thiamine, so the 4-1/2 cc per 100 pounds of weight is what is needed...she will pee out what she doesnt need..so dont worry about giving too much...

Her wanting to be alone says she is not feeling well at all....offer her plenty of green leaves, hay...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I am figuring she is about 50lbs, but I can bump her up to the 60lb dose if need be. I am swagging it.

Oh, note to self....cherry flavored MOM does not go over well with goats. LOL

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Some times size can be tricky..here is a great weight chart..shows youhow to measure the goat and give a weight based on those measurments...gets you at least a close idea..:D This way you are sure to get the right amount of meds in her..

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm
Oh, note to self....cherry flavored MOM does not go over well with goats. LOL
LOL..I get regular mint flavor..they seem to like it

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some times size can be tricky..here is a great weight chart..shows youhow to measure the goat and give a weight based on those measurments...gets you at least a close idea..:D This way you are sure to get the right amount of meds in her..

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm

LOL..I get regular mint flavor..they seem to like it
Thank you so much for all your help. I love this site and everyone in it!!

The store only have cherry this time around. Would have gotten mint otherwise. :dazed:

Good news. When I went out to give Hershey her 4 am shots, I found her chewing her cud. I guess the MOM did help her. :cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts