The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old Nigerian doe who is dried off, no kids, nothing out of the usual when I left for work this morning. Fed everyone 1st cutting hay as usual, and filled the waters.

When I came home tonight, she was "stargazing" and staggering, like she can't keep her balance. She seems semi blind as well.

I'm thinking this is listeriosis.

However I suppose it could be a number of things. She seems interested in the grain I fed the others tonight, and was nibbling hay tonight too. She's obviously not as enthusiastic as I need her to be but I'm hoping I've caught this in time. Nobody else is exhibiting signs.

I've started her on 3cc penicillin sub q above the ribs at 8pm and 2.5cc sub q of vit b/thiamine. I plan on giving her the 3cc of penicillin every 6 hours. Ive also added electrolytes to their water. They're all vaccinated every april with cdt vaccine and were vaccinated last fall for rabies.

How often should I give the vitamin b?

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what this might be?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Good call ont he pen G and B complex...Polio or listeriosis is what comes to mind..Straight thiamine or FORTIFIED B complex is what is needed..you would have to give her too much reg. B complex to help much with polio,...while both Polio and Listeriosis have the same symptoms treatment is different..sounds like you have already begun Pen G which is good...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
this link gives you the amounts needed of pen G to be effective

If all you have is reg. B complex you will need to up the dose quite a bit to get what she needs..per tenn. meat goats:
Injectable multiple B vitamins containing only 25mg/ml of thiamine require four times the 100mg/ml dosage (18-1/2 cc) per 100 pounds bodyweight, so the producer can quickly see the importance of obtaining the proper strength of injectable B vitamins.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think she's too old to get polio? Isn't it more common in kids? I just hope she gets better. Does blindness happen with both of these diseases?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Not too old at all...Listeriosis is more common in older goats then kids but it can go both ways....Blindness is in both diseases and eye sight will return under successfull treatment..
once you get her well you need to seek the source of the illness so others wont get ill..mold in feed and hay are most common..
Causes of thiamine deficiency include feeding moldy hay or grain, using amprollium which is a thiamine inhibitor (brand name CoRid) when treating coccodiosis, feeding molasses-based grains which are prone to mold (horse & mule feeds), eating some species of ferns, sudden changes in diet, the dietary stress of weaning, and reactions to the de-wormers thiabendazole and levamisole. Each of these conditions can suppress Vitamin B1 production. The usage of antibiotics destroys flora in the rumen and can cause thiamine deficiency. It is important to repopulate the gut with live bacteria after using antibiotics or diarrhea (scour) medications.
for listeriosis
Listeriosis is brought on by feeding silage, suddenly changing type and kind of feed (grain or hay), parasitism, dramatic weather changes, and advanced stages of pregnancy. The encephalitic form is most common, causing inflammation of the nerves in the goat's brain stem.
you will know which you are dealing with ...if its polio you will see her better after a few treatments of Thiamine(B1) if she doesnt seem to be getting better after a few treatments then most likely listeriosis is what you are dealing with,,,continue to treat for both until she is 100% well for a full 24 hours after all symptoms have past..( I go a few extra days just to be sure, but Im a worry wart ;))

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay it seems like I'm doing all the right things, all I can do now is wait and do the thiamine/penicillins treatments. Sheesh... I hope she gets better

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
yes..the waiting is hard..I would do the thiamine every 6 hours at least..My first Polio case was bad..I didnt know what I was treating...so you did great getting her what she needed up front..you can read about my polio case on my web sight..Dozer was his name and I really thought he wouldn't make it, he was very ill, blind as a bat, couldn't eat or drink.....but he pulled through..
happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com...click goat drama then Dozers story....

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this is listeriosis should I be worried about my other goats? Even polio, should I separate them? I only have three girls and they get along so well I don't want to separate them because it would stress her out more than anything else.

She's not drooling and she's still standing up and flicking her ears around (probably due to blindness). Would I see this get worse before it gets better or should I expect her to get better from here?

I just want to do anything I can to help her.

I put about a teaspoon of baking soda on her tongue, do you think that'd help?

I also have some "first arrival" paste that I give my kids after I disbud them, it's charcoal and vitamins and probiotics in it. Google it actually its a fantastic product.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
if we are treating for the right problem..she will improve not get worse..no need to seperate her...but do look for the source...fro me it was mold in the feed..we gave free choice grain to our kids...we were having hot wet humid weather...the feed molded . we cleaned up all the feed and never fed free choice again lol..
baking soda wont hurt her..I wouldn't worry about the first arrive right now..no need to stress her too much : )
Is she still eating and drinking?? pooping berries?

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She seems to be pooping still I just went to check on her. I syringed some water/electrolytes down her. I can't really tell I she's drinking because its night time and everyone is sleeping (hence the 40ccs of water). She seemed interested in hay, just having a problem making it there. How quickly might their sight improve, it seemed like she could see a little better since her last treatment, but it may have been the flashlight? I waved my hand near her eye and she flinched more than a few hours ago.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also- I don't see any mold in the hay or grain. I check it before feed every morning. Could have been something I didn't notice though. I do turn them out on green pasture every other day or so, but today was a hay day. Maybe she reached her head thru the fence and grabbed something not so agreeable?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
With Dozer it was the last thing to completely heal, but he was pretty bad ...I had to hand feed him as well..I wouldn't worry about drenching tonight..let her rest some..put some water near where she lays so its easy to find...and a pile of hay near too : ) here is a good recipe for a home made electro that she will be able to smell and enjoy..
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses( or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would check the mineral, search near the fence line see if anything new popped up in growth...kind of go through the list...could be she choked some and set her rumen off..I meant to ask if she is chewing a cud? any rumen activity such as rumbling, burping or other wise??

If not, cd antitoxin is needed to help keep toxins from building..its a good idea whenever a goat is off , kind of like insurance..it wont hurt for her to have it but can help if she needs it : ) a 80# goat needs 20cc every 12 hours :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Also- I don't see any mold in the hay or grain.
I had a doe come down with polio/listerosis and it was from mold mushrooms - not sure if that is the accurate term, but that is what I call them. I, too, check my hay for mold before I feed it. I had to literally tear apart the flake of hay to find them. The mold mushrooms were caused by an excessive amount of rain we had that year, and they were tiny. They literally looked like little tiny mushrooms growing in the hay.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good suggestions. Just went back out to give her more penicillin and vitamin b, she stood up on her own, but still wobbly. She is alert and seems to be chewing cud. Still not sure about the sight thing, could be that she's seeing the flashlight and nothing more. She doesn't seem any worse though, which is good. She seems to be just resting for now. I'll give another update in the morning.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
sounds like things are going in the right direction!!! Keep up with the pen and Thiamine..you're on the right track : ) as I said..it took Dozer a bit to get his full eye sight back..but it will return....

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
She's not improving, in fact it's hard to see her in such pain. I doubled the dosage of pen and thiamine I was giving her. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I think I may have to put her down. :(

She's completely down now and is so stiff. This really seems like listeria to me! I am doing everything right I don understand how she can be doing so horribly!

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Im so sorry...Can you get a vet out to see her? Banamine will help her with the pain ...Im so sorry she is taken a step back...

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
hows your girl this morning...she's been in my thoughts..

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately this morning we had to euthanize her. She had a horrible horrible night. It broke my heart to hear and see her in such pain. And although I'm extremely sad that she is gone its relieving to know that she isn't in pain anymore. That was a horrible experience I hope that I won't have to go through again. Her pain was the worst part. She really went downhill within a few hours. She was literally 9/10 dead already. I wish I knew how this came around, and I thanks everyone for their fantastic input. Everyone was so helpful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts