Staining my stanchion-Safe or not

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nubians2, Mar 14, 2011.

1. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I am painting and staining my stanchion. The stain I want to use is an exterior deck stain, that contans pesticides. I was going to use it on the neck piece and decided to paint the just to be safe. I do want to stain/seal the deck of the stanchion though. I only have a couple of days before I will be using it. Should I be concerned about the pesticides or not. Thanks

2. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Sometimes I really hate my phone. Typos

3. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    I use to work with wood stains and top coats in cabinets,all chemicals for wood have some pretty bad stuff in them to preserve the wood.The stain you said your using is for decks,would you be on it barefoot or lean against the railings?If its safe for humans it should be ok for goats to stand on,but they could also eat it and this would not be good.

Whats wrong with leaving it bare wood?
    Could you paint it with a not so toxic paint?

4. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I would err on the side of not staining it personally..... goats like nibbling on wood (or at least mine do) and I wouldn't want them ingesting paint or stain..... just my two cents though....

5. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Since my milking barn won't be built for a couple of months my stanchion will be outside and I wanted to protect it.

6. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    If your goats do not have access to chew on it and it is indeed safe for humans to have bare skin on then it should be fine.

When I build my stand out of regular non treated wood I had the stand sit out for about 3 months in the weather, its darker now but its still going strong.

7. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    you could leave it unstained and just put a tarp over it....