The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
goatmama36
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to the different methods everyone uses to control odors in their barns. As I prepare for winter I want a good free smelling barn.
We are in Wyoming with long winters and thirty goats that spend a lot in the barn. Any ideas would be great!

·
2,203 Posts
I am curious as to the different methods everyone uses to control odors in their barns. As I prepare for winter I want a good free smelling barn.
We are in Wyoming with long winters and thirty goats that spend a lot in the barn. Any ideas would be great!
Lime, dirt floor mixed with sand. Deep bedding pack.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
... Ok mjs is a mind reader :) Lime is great for winter and cheap. Allows us to top dress for a couple of weeks before we need to clean it out. Thou, with an average rain fall of 10" per year, we dont get alot of muck.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I hear ya! Barn lime any time I get the slightest whiff of ammonia, followed by deep fresh bedding. In between the barn lime and fresh bedding, I will also put down PDZ when/if needed.

·
558 Posts
My husband just bought a bag of pelletized lime for our garden. How do I know if it is the safe kind that I can use in the barn??

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Cleanliness. If you don't have one already, get a wheel barrel and work on making yourself a manure pile lol. Really, cleaning on a daily basis will ensure you have virtually no goat and ammonia smell in your barn. I know if you aren't used to cleaning on a daily basis, it seems like it would take FOREVER and not be doable, but really it doesnt. Stall mats help greatly, then you can just quickly sweep them off daily. It takes me probably 3 minutes max to clean each of my 3 goat stalls.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Audrey, that works very well in theory, but fails miserably in reality for a lot of people. ;) :)

·
558 Posts
I actually scoop out any obvious piles everytime I go to the barn, which is at least 2 and mostly 3 times a day. It only takes a few minutes, but then again, I only have 2 goats. I feel for those of you with a big herd. That would be daunting. I am shocked at how much 2 goats can poo overnight. Pooping machines I tell you! I quickly shovel and fling the poo over the fence into a heavly weedy area next to the pen. When I rake the whole barn out, I have a compost pile. We tried burning the straw, but it was hard to burn and VERY smoky.

The most stinky area for me is under my rabbit cages. The males urine STINKS! I am definitely going to try the barn lime there. I don't really think the goat pee smells much, from what I can tell, but my floor is dirt.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
The first year my 10x10 barn had a dirt floor...I cleaned it weekly, sprinkling barn lime or PDZ on the dirt, with a layer of straw over that.
This spring I installed rubber stall mats to cover the whole floor...I've been using wood shavings and scooping up the wet shavings on a daily basis.
Then I sweep it out monthly, and mop the whole floor with PineSol.

My problem is...the goats think they SHOULD pee on the shavings...so they will walk in the barn to pee, then go back outside...LOL!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't mix it with anything. I just sprinkle it with a scoop, flour sifter, or cup - then spread new bedding. The chemical name for barn or ag lime is calcium carbonate. Now, if it's been snowing or raining for 3 days straight and the girls are literally living in their shelter, I put down Sweet PDZ. Both help to neutralize ammonia, but the PDZ does it without having to add new bedding.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
We have a 10x20 barn that was built a few months ago. It has a wood floor. Yesterday we picked up some remnant rolls of a heavy duty Lino at the recycle home store. I'm excited to get it in the barn. It will be much easier to clean! I'll let you know how it works out in the next few weeks.

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
What do you mix with the lime? And what exactly is it?
Be careful when you sprinkle the barn lime, it's such a fine powder that you'll want to wear a face mask.
And keep your goats out of the barn until the powder settles, you don't want them breathing all that dust in either.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The main houses for the goats are only 3 sided so I don't have to worry about the smell on those. But for the kidding houses I'm gonna try that lime!!!! What I did do last year was once I moved mom and kids out I would clean it put a fan in there to dry it then put baking soda down.....I looked very crazy going to Costco and buying tons of it lol.

·
558 Posts
Be careful when you sprinkle the barn lime, it's such a fine powder that you'll want to wear a face mask.
And keep your goats out of the barn until the powder settles, you don't want them breathing all that dust in either.
Thanks for the tip! I am going to try this for the first time this weekend.
Time to look for my husbands drywall mask!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts